How to enable SDL for iMX6?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable SDL for iMX6?

Tarek
Senior Contributor I

I'm porting a project which uses SDL to i.MX6 platform  but SDL is failling to initialize SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO); gives: No available video device

What are the packages that I need to install to get SDL video device?

If SDL was not tested before what is the best graphics package to use for drawing windows and buttons?

I'm running Yocto project on  Nitrogen board.

Thanks

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

fengwei
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

What's your window system for SDL, if you configured SDL with X11 support, there should not be any problem with i.mx6. Do you use SDL for 3D application rendering? With OpenGL or OpenGL ES?

0 Kudos

Tarek
Senior Contributor I

It's not a 3D application and I'm not using OpenGL. My application needs to play video "Possibly full screen" using gstreamer and just draw some buttons on top of the video for control using SDL.

Here is SDL configuration:

configure --build=i686-linux --host=arm-poky-linux-gnueabi --target=arm-poky-linux-gnueabi --prefix=/usr --exec_prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --sharedstatedir=/com --localstatedir=/var --libdir=/usr/lib --includedir=/usr/include --oldincludedir=/usr/include --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --disable-silent-rules --disable-dependency-tracking --with-libtool-sysroot=/home/telsherbiny/work/fsl/build/tmp/sysroots/imx6qsabrelite --disable-static --disable-debug --enable-cdrom --enable-threads --enable-timers --enable-endian --enable-file --disable-oss --disable-esd --disable-arts --disable-diskaudio --disable-nas --disable-esd-shared --disable-esdtest --disable-mintaudio --disable-nasm --disable-video-dga --disable-video-fbcon --disable-video-ps2gs --disable-video-ps3 --disable-video-xbios --disable-video-gem --disable-video-dummy --enable-input-events --enable-input-tslib --enable-pthreads --disable-video-directfb --enable-video-opengl --enable-video-x11 --disable-video-svga --disable-video-picogui --disable-video-qtopia --enable-dlopen --disable-rpath --disable-pulseaudio --enable-alsa

Is there anything wrong with such configuration?

0 Kudos

fengwei
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Can you confirm if SDL_VIDEO_DRIVER_X11 is defined.

If so, X11 client need to communicate with X server by some address. Can you try following:

export DISPLAY=:0

then run your sdl application again.

You can find your X server address by

ps -ef | grep X

On my board, the result is

root     5295  5195  0 Sep24 tty7   00:00:24 /usr/bin/X :0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch

root     7074  5503  0 09:43 ttymxc1  00:00:00 grep --color=auto X

0 Kudos

Tarek
Senior Contributor I

Hi Wei, thank you very much for that.

Since my application doesn't require a full fledged desktop GUI, I dropped using X11. Instead I've used directFB and that seams to work for me.

I will start a new subject if there is any problems with directFB.

Thanks again

0 Kudos