FEC is not working on custom board.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEC is not working on custom board.

Nilson
Contributor I
Im using the 112 pins 52235 on custom board, and im trying to run the Coldfire_Lite_FTP_server on it, but in mcf5223_ePHY_init()  the FEC an EPHY registers are different compared to M52233DEMO board.

The program hangs at (void)fec_mii_read(0, 0, &reg0); in mcf5223_ePHY_init() cause it gets a timeout for MII interrupt.

Could someone please tell me if theres a difference between the 80 and 112 pins cpus? Why the software does not work if they are supposed to be the same cpus?

Thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Nilson
Contributor I
Actually, the M52233DEMO board uses a MCF52235 80 pins and my custom board uses a MCF52235 112 pins.

Thanks.
0 Kudos

mccPaul
Contributor I
Hi Nilson,

I assume you are using Codewarrior, which I don't use so I can't really comment on the debugging probelem you have except to say that I have seen problems with the PE Micro BDM when I have had too many breakpoints in use.

As far as the PHY is concerned - you could try commenting out the PHY initialisation routine and hope that the PHY's defaults will let the rest of the code run. If it does you need to start debugging the PHY code.

Or, perhaps more usefully, you could try a different stack altogether. If you try uTasker and it works then you can assume software problems but if that has the same kind of issue, then maybe there is a hardware problem.

Cheers,

Paul.
0 Kudos

Kremer
Contributor I
 Hi Nilson

I´m sure that there´s no difference on 80 to 112 pins chips regarding to FEC functionality.
 All the registers are the same on same addresses.
 I developed my firmware on M5223DEMO board, wich has an 80 pins PCF52233 and on my custom board I´m using PCF52235CAL60 (112 pins) and the exact same code runs smooth.
 Regarding to the debugging error message, it happens because you are setting up too many breakpoints. Try to set up only one breakpoint at the fec init code, and after reach it try to disable that breakpoint and single step through the code.
 One thing that really affects the FEC functionality is your power source. You must be sure it can supply enough current for the FEC to start.

Hope this helps

Regards
0 Kudos

Nilson
Contributor I
Now when i try to enter at (void)fec_mii_read(0, 0, &reg0); in mcf5223_ePHY_init()  i get the message "PEMicroProtocolPlugin : An error occurred while trying to read memory".

Anyone has any idea whats happening?

Thanks.
0 Kudos

macl
Senior Contributor I
The only differences between a 112-pin 52235 and a 80-pin 52233 are that the 52235 has a CAN module, Cryptography module, an extra UART, more IRQs, and a couple more pins for ethernet LEDs.  Otherwise they are functionally identical.  Maybe someone else can comment to why you could be having a problem.
0 Kudos