cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can SODIMM run with i.MX6D/Q?

XiaoPong
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

We plan to have 4G Byte memory on i.MX6Q. Can SODIMM be installed on target board? Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

huangxin
Contributor I

Thanks Nicolas, I will read the imx6 user's manual when I get one, to see if the DDR3 controller has config registers that can used to turn the IO buffer parameters to support 8 or 16 chips.

HuangXin

0 Kudos

NicolasIzquierd
Contributor III

Hi HuangXin,

I do not have the complete answer, all that i can tell you the iMX6 has been tested with up to 8 chip x 16 bit, 4 chip in each chip select line (CS[1:0]) to complete 4Gbytes, if I see any other reference where more chips are connected i can reply here. The only solution that i can see is that you will need to do the SI simulation using IBIS model of each part.

hope this can help you.

Nicolas

0 Kudos

huangxin
Contributor I

I also want to use SODIMM on imx6, what I wondered is the DDR signal driving capability of the imx6, I saw the reference designs all use 4 DDR3 chips with each chip is x16 configuration, while SODIMM usually has 8 or 16 chips with each chip is x8. any recommendation is appreachiated.

HuangXin

0 Kudos

NicolasIzquierd
Contributor III

Hi Wilson,

Following the recommendation of routing DDRs I do not see any reason why you can not, I will recommend you to read the i.mx53 Hardware developer guide available in Freescale Home Page

Notes.

VREFs, use an external source like a LDO or if you are using PMIC PFUZE use the dedicated output.

Add Termination of the Lines.

Tune Data, Add, Cmd, Clock as DDR

Since SODIMM are routed in a FLY BY configuration you will need to adjusted with a Write Leveling DDR fiunction.

Maybe Somebody else can add more recommendation...

nicolas 

0 Kudos