Anyone using IEEE-1588 on QSB?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using IEEE-1588 on QSB?

EdSutter
Senior Contributor II

Probably a more basic question would be.. does the iMX535 on the QSB actually have hardware support for IEEE-1588?  I'm just getting started with the iMX53 family, and it appears that most of the documentation for the various processors (iMX534-537) is the same iMX53-generic user documentation (IMX53RM & IMX53UG).  So, while my main question is regarding HW support for IEEE-1588 on the QSB, the more general question is how do we users distinguish between the different feature sets of the different iMX53 processor family?

The front-end freescale page has a nice interactive graph that implies that only the '537 has HW support for IEEE-1588.  Unfortunately, the 537's main page points to the same UM/RM as the other three devices in the family, and that documentation claims support for HW-IEEE-1588.  So, I'm not sure what to believe.  Is there some UM/RM-ish document that outlines what features are in each of the SOCs?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
20 Replies

EdSutter
Senior Contributor II

Ok, I'm heading down the path that assumes the QSB's i.MX535 CPU does have IEEE-1588 HW support.

0 Kudos

TheAdmiral
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Sorry to take so long to join in this discussion. But I think I have the answers that everybody wants.

There is one Reference Manual (IMX53RM) and one User Guide (IMX53UG) that covers the i.MX53 family of parts. But there are three different datasheets: IMX53CEC for the consumer parts (MCIMX535, MCIMX538), IMX53AEC for two automotive parts (MCIMX534, MCIMX536) and IMX53IEC for the industrial part (MCIMX537). Each individual datasheet describes the exact capabilities of the part(s) it covers. If the datasheet does not list a particular capability, then the application section of the Reference Manual would simply not apply. Note: MCIMX538 is not listed as an orderable part. You would need to talk to Freescale directly if you wanted this part, to check on its availability.

I will restate my point to go to the datasheets directly. I have noted occassional errors on the summary pages, depending on revisions, etc. The datasheets are the definitive word on the subject.

Now to the point of IEEE-1588 capability. All chips in the i.MX53 family have the same IEEE-1588 capability (listed on all three datasheets). The datasheets state HW capability only. That means that a IEEE-1588 software stack must be used to make this function work. This stack is not included as part of the Freescale BSP. But I can tell you that the IXXAT IEEE-1588 Protocol stack was used to validate the IEEE-1588 feature of the i.MX53 processor. That should at least get you going in the right direction. For support in using the IXXAT stack, you would need to contact IXXAT.

0 Kudos

RandyKrakora
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Not necessarily, but could be.
0 Kudos

EdSutter
Senior Contributor II

I was able to do the following at the u-boot prompt:

MX53-LOCO U-Boot > md.l 63ffc000 3
63ffc000: 08001100 0140013f 00010302 ....?.@.....
MX53-LOCO U-Boot >

That address corresponds to 3 32-bit registers referred to in the RM as "Time Stamp Unit Parsing Definitions Register 1-3"

The values read back match what the RM says are the "reset values", so that certainly implies that the '535 does have PTP hardware support.  Agree?

0 Kudos

EdSutter
Senior Contributor II

Randy/Christian,

Thanks for the help.  It just occurred to me that maybe I can just use u-boot to attempt to access some of the IEEE-1588 specific registers.  If I get access violations at those addresses, that would be indication that it doesn't support 1588.

Ed

0 Kudos

RandyKrakora
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

They're probably not available because they have changed. I saw a matrix similar to the one on page 19, but it is a little different, basically no ieee1588 on imx535 and the dates have changed ( were pushed out by 1-2 months for each part ). Probably because the parts were still in development when you got the docs.

I'm trying to see if the current matrix exists anywhere on the site.

0 Kudos

clangen
Contributor I

Hi Ed,

taking a closer look to my hard disk chaos helped to retrieve the files that show the spec comparision tables:

The funny thing is that even the Freescale slides are contradictional. See FTF11_ENT_F0541.pdf on slide 11 and EUF-CON-T1462 _i.MX General Update.pdf on slide 19. The second states the i.MX535 with IEEE1588 ptp (but not maekd with yellow) the first without it. Unfortunately I couldn't attach the first file since the attachment size is limited to 7MB bit I can send it by email if you like. Both files are no longer available on the Freescale website.

Best regards

Christian

0 Kudos

clangen
Contributor I

Hi Ed,

taking a closer look to my hard disk chaos helped to retrieve the files that show the spec comparision tables:

The funny thing is that even the Freescale slides are contradictional. See FTF11_ENT_F0541.pdf on slide 11 and EUF-CON-T1462 _i.MX General Update.pdf on slide 19. One states the i.MX535 with IEEE1588 ptp the other without it.

Best regards

Christian

0 Kudos

RandyKrakora
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Here's something useful ( maybe ):

http://code.google.com/p/ptpv2d/wiki/Introduction

0 Kudos

EdSutter
Senior Contributor II

Ok, now I see what you're referring to.  There are actually three unique fact sheets:

One covers the 534 & 536 (automotive).

One covers the 535 (applications processor).

One covers the 537 (also referred to as an applications processor).

The sheets for the 534/536 and the 537 state IEEE-1588 HW support for ethernet, but the sheet for the 535 simply says 10/100 Ethernet.  As you say, the block diagrams imply that ALL have the 1588 HW support!  Ok, I feel totally justified for being confused about this now!  :-)

Regarding IEEE1588 apps in general, I'd be interested in anything you dig up.  I am on the steep slope of the learning curve here for iMX53 and IEEE-1588. I'm having a hard time digesting the notion that an application in Linux can use this, so I'd love to see some kind of Linux based example that successfully takes advantage of it.

0 Kudos

RandyKrakora
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

There are pdf files ( fact sheets ) for each version of imx53. The sheets are 1-3? pages, with a block diagram ( shows FEC+1588 ), then a list of the "stats", in the list, some show 1588 HW, some don't. Seems to jive with the other information I found. I'll see if I can find a matrix that shows more details.

I'm planning to look for apps that show ieee1588 ( SW only at first ). I'm going to start with the QSB, because it is convenient ( even though I have lots of Freescale HW with ieee1588 HW assist ). I'll try to post if I find something that shows what it can do.

0 Kudos

EdSutter
Senior Contributor II

Not sure what you mean by "the stats", what page are you referring to?

0 Kudos

RandyKrakora
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Look at the fact sheets on www.freescale.com/imx. It looks like the consumer versions ( 535 and 538 ) do not have ieee1588 HW assist. But the others do ( auto and industrial ). Even though the block diagrams have the FEC + 1588, the stats don't have 1588 HW assist listed for the consumer parts.

0 Kudos

EdSutter
Senior Contributor II

Ok, yep I see what you're referring to now.  Didn't look there, I was browsing each device's 'documentation' section.
The datasheets do state IEEE-1588-V1 support for all the devices, so I guess that's what I'll run with.  Still find it confusing that Freescale only recommends the '537 on their 1588-support page...

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/application.jsp?code=APLIEEE_1588

Thanks,

0 Kudos

RandyKrakora
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The data sheets should all be available from here:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/taxonomy.jsp?code=IMX53_FAMILY

Each version ( 534-537 ) looks to have a data sheet, if you look at the "ordering info" table, it should be more specific to the part number.

0 Kudos

EdSutter
Senior Contributor II

Randy,

Thanks for responding.

I'm only a few days into this, but as far as I can tell, there's only one imx53 document set (IMX53UG and IMX53RM), right?  The website for each of the devices (534,535,536,537) all point to the same imx53 documentation, I haven't found anything yet (aside from a few pictures on the website) that differentiates the device capabilities.
Regarding IEEE-1588, I'm still learning (also just a few days in). I guess I didn't think that non-HW-assisted MAC would support microsecond-level accuracy (unless "microsecond" here means 100's of uS).  Also, I'm very interested in seeing how something like Linux can support this claim.  Anyway, I was hoping to experiment with the imx53QSB using its HW-assisted 1588 MAC, but I'm still not convinced that it actually has that.  :-( 

0 Kudos

RandyKrakora
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Look at the datasheets maybe? All the imx53 datasheets I've looked through claim to have ieee1588 HW support.

I saw a Linux patch ( 2.6.38 maybe? ) that claimed to add ieee1588 support recently. But I don't know what exactly it did.

I'd be interested in seeing an application that actually proved this worked, you can achieve microsecond accuracy without the HW assist, right? I guess I'm at a loss for an application that would require more than that, but I am sure once I post this, there will be 100 posts people telling me how they would use it. :)

0 Kudos

EdSutter
Senior Contributor II

Since posting this original question I found another Freescale page apparently dedicated to 1588 (http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/application.jsp?code=APLIEEE_1588). It lists only the '537 (from the iMX53 family) as having IEEE-1588 HW support; yet the block diagrams for each of these devices on their corresponding web pages indicate that they all have 1588 HW support.  

Are we supposed to depend on a few pictures on a website to be able to tell the difference or is there some other documentation I missed?  I'm headed down a path that initially assumed that the QSB had IEEE-1588 HW support, and now I'm thinking that's a wrong turn.

0 Kudos

EdSutter
Senior Contributor II

Christian,

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.  For some reason the documentation is quite vague in distinguishing between the different iMX53 devices.  Regarding the QSB, you say the BOM refers to a '536; however, I have a QSB that has a '535 on it.  Thanks,

Ed

0 Kudos

clangen
Contributor I

Dear Ed,

as far as I could understand only the i.MX537 does support IEEE1588 ptp.

The BOM for the i.MX53 QSB lists the MCIMX536DJV1A device. Since that I would state 'bad luck' for IEEE1588 ptp support for the i.MX53 QSB.

Once before I had the same intention to use the i.MX53 QSB.

At that time I had a list provided by Freescale to distinguish the different features for the i.MX53x devices.Sorry to say I counl't find it again now.

You are right the feature set description is somewhat obscure.

Best regards

Christian

0 Kudos