cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[i.MX28] What is the latest kernel?

katte
Contributor II

Hi all.
On the website the last build is the 2.6.35 SDK10.12.
There is something new?
Where I can find it?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies

iranna
Contributor II

HI Robert,

I am working on linux-3.2, I have configured and compiled kernel for imx28_evk board. the board boots up,
But trying to play video using gplay not able to see video on lcd, Please help me in this.

Thanks in Advance

Iranna

Robert Schwebel said:

Hi Marco,

The mainline kernel supports MX28 quite nicely (although not feature complete). So I'd suggest that you try 3.4.1.

Regards,

Robert

0 Kudos

mehmet
Contributor I

I have I.MX28 custom board and run with default kernel(linux-2.6.35.3) and fs without any problem.

I have to upgrade kernel to linux-3.1 or higher.  I tried linux-3.4.1.

I don't use uboot, use imx28_ivt_linux.sb image with sdcard.

I give path of new kernel for "kernel(Local Linux directory build)" config after "./ltib -m config". There is no problem, it was built and tried to run with new imx28_ivt_linux.sb but it hanged up after "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel" message.

I need your help, ideas..

Thanks

Mehmet

0 Kudos

iranna
Contributor II

Hi,

NIce to see this information, Had anyone tried playing video using 'gplay' on MX28evk board with the same kernel.

thanks in advance

Best Regards

Iranna

Steve M. said:

Hello guys,

I am currently testing 3.4.1 on the EVK and from my expierence I can say that it works quite nice. The support for USB is currently missing and the GPMI is not finalized yet I think (not 100% sure on that).

I've seen some patches for the USB stuff that should add Host support.
For GPMI only a small patch is needed to the Kernel's configuration to get the support in  as well as some modifications to the board initialization code. I got this running on my board and it seems to work pretty well already.
Additionally I can confirm that the following things work: I2C, AUARTS, DBGU and Networking. Didn't test any more on it because that's all my project needs. SSP0 also seems to work (with a SD Flash card) but I currently have an issue with a SDIO Wlan card where I can't rule out that this problem comes from something mx28 related.

On a side note I discovered that a few drivers (notably USB and GPMI) seem to go in a Device-tree only direction when they are finalized so if you need them it couldn't hurt to have a look at this topic if you didn't have one already.

Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos

RobertSchwebel
Contributor IV

> for kernel 3.4.2 this is definitely correct because at least USB support is missing.

The USB support is work-in-progress, the whole Synopsys IP core mess has to be cleaned up, which is currently being done. Watch the linux-usb mailinglist for updates.

rsc

0 Kudos

StMa
Contributor I

Hello Cheng,

you can find the mainline kernels at www.kernel.org

Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos

x10
Contributor V

I can only download L2.6.35 from freescale website. Where can I get your mentioned mainline kernel 3.4.1 for imx28evk? 

0 Kudos

StMa
Contributor I

Hi Marco,

for kernel 3.4.2 this is definitely correct because at least USB support is missing.

Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos

katte
Contributor II

ok, but it seems that only the kernel kernel 2.6.35 support all the peripherals.

No alternatives if someone needs all the features of the board (usb, networking, audio, i2c, sd etc.etc..).

Am I correct?

0 Kudos

StMa
Contributor I

Hello guys,

I am currently testing 3.4.1 on the EVK and from my expierence I can say that it works quite nice. The support for USB is currently missing and the GPMI is not finalized yet I think (not 100% sure on that).

I've seen some patches for the USB stuff that should add Host support.
For GPMI only a small patch is needed to the Kernel's configuration to get the support in  as well as some modifications to the board initialization code. I got this running on my board and it seems to work pretty well already.
Additionally I can confirm that the following things work: I2C, AUARTS, DBGU and Networking. Didn't test any more on it because that's all my project needs. SSP0 also seems to work (with a SD Flash card) but I currently have an issue with a SDIO Wlan card where I can't rule out that this problem comes from something mx28 related.

On a side note I discovered that a few drivers (notably USB and GPMI) seem to go in a Device-tree only direction when they are finalized so if you need them it couldn't hurt to have a look at this topic if you didn't have one already.

Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos

katte
Contributor II

Are you talking about the "kernel vanilla"?
Ok, but it also include all the patch for i.mx28? If not, where I can find these patch?
Can I put this kernel directly in the "ltib" installation directory and start the compile process?

Robert Schwebel said:

Hi Marco,

The mainline kernel supports MX28 quite nicely (although not feature complete). So I'd suggest that you try 3.4.1.

Regards,

Robert

0 Kudos

JamesAttewell
Contributor I

Hi Robert,

Is there a list anywhere of all the features of the MX28 the mainline kernel (3.4.1+) supports against the features supported in the MX28 Freescale 2.6.35 10.12 Kernel? I have looked and I cant find one. It would be a good thread (a sticky one) to start in your Mainline Linux group maybe?

Cheers

James

0 Kudos

RobertSchwebel
Contributor IV

Hi Marco,

Regards,

Robert

0 Kudos