cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tutorials how to use this?

jose
Contributor I

Hello guys,

Is there any tutorials/references on how to use this?

I'm about to procure one and use it with imx51evk and imx53qsb.

I can debug the kernel and user-space programs with this right?

Any tips?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

jose
Contributor I

I see, thanks for shedding some light.

About gdb though, I did tried to use it but I always get "[1]Segmentation Fault" when I issue even plain "gdb" on the target's prompt. By the way I am using iMX53QSB and Android Gingerbread r4.2 from Adeneo Embedded. Some said the gdb might be corrupted but I was using the prebuilt images from Adeneo so I assumed everything on it is working right? or I hope... :-)

But I guess printk would be fine too for me, I am to port some drivers from third party peripheral vendors and also make my own driver but I am new to this so I need some kind of guide or good references at least.

Sir Matt, could I ask some favor from you?

I just need a simple sample that would configure and control a pin as a gpio like the user_led on the imx53qsb. And if you could also give a simple sample to configure an interrupt that would use the user button on the same board?

I would greatly appreciate it Sir Matt.

I've read the user guide from FSL but the API is relatively too huge for a beginner like me and i'm not that familiar with linux/android so that adds to the complexity of learning this system.

Thank you sir and have a nice day.

0 Kudos

Matt_ng9
Contributor III

Userspace programs are debugged using gdb.  I think you can debug drivers with gdb too (The drivers I have written have been relatively simple so far, so I never needed more than printk statements).

Basically you need jtag to do debugging before the kernel is fully loaded, but once you get the login prompt you can debug using other tools.  So if you are not deviating too much from the Freescale design and bsp, you may not even need to do that level of debugging.

I have not used mine yet but it is something I am planning on doing soon (I have to start shaving down boot time soon and it will come in handy for that I am sure).  So hopefully someone else has some good information to share, but the good news is your development should not have to wait on getting it to work.

0 Kudos