OpenGL ES 2.0 performance

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL ES 2.0 performance

BrianEdmond
Contributor II

I was wondering if anyone has done any performance testing on the i.MX53 OpenGL ES 2.0?  I am running some code with loads and render OBJ models and rotates them.  I am seeing about 16 FPS when rotating the model and then 25 FPS if I disable the texture's.  This is a lower framerate than I am seeing on other boards and I was wondering if there were any limitations or best practices for rendering?  I am rendering about 700 triangles.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

claymontgomery
Contributor IV

Have you read Brian Murray's "GUI_Tips_Tricks.doc" application note from Freescale?  It has some good ideas, particularly the one about enabling the GL_WRITEONLY_RENDERING_AMD extension.  The i.MX53 can reach about 50 fps on a 1080p display when this extension is enabled.

dilip
Contributor II

I did a search on Freescale website for the above mentioned application note by Brian Murray(GUI_Tips_Tricks.doc). But couldn't fine anything related. Is this doc only for internal FSL use?

0 Kudos

claymontgomery
Contributor IV

That app note is in the gpu-sdk1008.tgz package.  You can find it by searching for "GPU SDK" at:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/search/Serp.jsp

0 Kudos

PrabhuSundarara
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Performance depends on many factors. One thing would recommend is use eglImage Extension.

When you use conventional glTexImage2D for textures, it involves copy operation which will reduce the performance. Try to use eglImage extension, where the texture memory pointer will be used directly by GPU, which will improve performance.