cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fully functional vga terminal

snirnisim
Contributor III

hello everyone,

well finally i got a new uSD card with u-boot kernel and fs.

the only thing now is that i'm not having a fully functional terminal in vga... actually i'm not having nothing in vga( no penguin or anything...) , just in hyperterminal (with usb to serial).

my enviromnet looks like that:

MX53-LOCO U-Boot > printenv primaryrt clock    : mxc_

bootdelay=3beo stop au

baudrate=115200river module lo

loadaddr=0x70800000oot:  3 i.MXC CPU

netdev=eth0verHzt_comp

ethprime=FEC0e c DVFS PER

uboot=u-boot.binedz o stop auto

nfsroot=/opt/eldk/armersion 2.2. (NAND) ©

ethact=FEC0d Hat, Inc.

serverip=10.0.0.138333333Hz constraint

ipaddr=10.0.0.105 has been set to

kernel=uImaget:  3 key to

boot_mmc=run bootargs_base bootargs_mmc; mmc dev 0; mmc read ${loadaddr} 0x800 0 loaded.05:46 UTC (346)nd Buffe e io scheduler noop registered                  x1800;bootm         

vga=video=mxcdi1fb:GBR24,VGA-XGA di1_primary tveeady disabled 9f-HID v1.11 Mouse [Logitech USB O

hdmi=video=mxcdi0fb:RGB24,1024x768M@60ady uninitialized 9 got MAC address fr bootargs_nfs=setenv bootargs ${bootargs} root=/dev/nfs ip=dhcp nfsroot=${serveri p}:${nfsroot},v3,tcp

bootcmd_net=run bootargs_base bootargs_nfs; tftpboot ${loadaddr} ${kernel}; boot m

bootargs_mmc=set bootargs ${bootargs} root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rw rootwait

bootcmd_mmc=run bootargs_base bootargs_mmc; mmc dev 0; mmc read ${loadaddr} 0x80 0 0x1800; bootm

bootcmd=run bootcmd_mmc

stdin=serial

stdout=serial

stderr=serial

Environment size: 1086/8188 bytes

and if i'm not stopping autoboot i'm login with "root" and getting root@freescale ~$ prompt.

1) how can i modified it to have: sata access, ethernet and a fully functional terminal in the vga that i can use with a usb keyboard?

2) is there any document that describes all the enviroment variables possebilties and syntax? where can i find it?

3) how can i update only the kernel in the uSD?

4) how can i make the board compile and run the project code automaticly after startup?

i know i've asked a lot of questions but i think it's better then open a new thread for each one of them.

please replay even if you have answer to just one of the quiestion.

thanks,

snir.

Labels (1)
10 Replies

snirnisim
Contributor III

i understand that but my question is why?

why the original uSD freescale provided came with a fully functional terminal that i can install gcc and download and instakk packages from the internet and i can't create OS that do the same for just compiling "all available packages" and setenv for networking?

how else can i install pkgs like samba4 and winexe for example? i need to  download them to the host install them and then check them when the "configure kernel" menu is up during LTIB build?

another question about using LTIB.

what i need to check in the ./ltib -c menu in order to build just the kernel again with just a few more pkgs, i mean that when i choos "don't build the bootloader" and then "configure the kernel" and "always rebuild the kernel" i'm getting the menuconfig and then i need to choose by my self all the pkgs that allows boot? what the "install all available pkgs" in the second config menu after installing ltib ( how to i bring it back with reinstalling?) change about the pkgs i need to choose my self in the menuconfig?

thanks,

snir

Krishna Pavan said:

Hi,

What all the softwares that are available on normal linux are available in the pkgs folder on your host.

So you just need to check them in the menu config when ./ltib is done and cross-compile and do the rest.

Your ported OS will not have a gcc / arm-none-linux-YYY to compile the source code!

Regards :: KRISHNA PAVAN

0 Kudos

KrishnaPavan
Contributor II

Hi,

What all the softwares that are available on normal linux are available in the pkgs folder on your host.

So you just need to check them in the menu config when ./ltib is done and cross-compile and do the rest.

Your ported OS will not have a gcc / arm-none-linux-YYY to compile the source code!

Regards :: KRISHNA PAVAN

0 Kudos

snirnisim
Contributor III

thank you,

isn't it possible to install packages the same way it's can be done when using the gnome terminal with commands like wget,git,apt-get install etc.?

Krishna Pavan said:

Hi,

If you have to install a package, then you have to do that when configuring the ltib itself.

There, you cross-compile it and use it in your port to i.MX.

Regards :: Krishna Pavan

0 Kudos

KrishnaPavan
Contributor II

Hi,

If you have to install a package, then you have to do that when configuring the ltib itself.

There, you cross-compile it and use it in your port to i.MX.

Regards :: Krishna Pavan

0 Kudos

snirnisim
Contributor III

o.k s oi really don't have a luck today... the vga coneector is broken from the board...

i can still use the debug uart but i dont think it's possible to develope and use the OS throught hyperteminal (correct me if i'm wrong please...)

is there a way to get the terminal (root@freescale ~$) to be a fully functional terminal like lucid@lucid$ terminal in the original uSD through hyperterminal?

anyone have a another possible solution? the deadline of the project is coming in giant steps and i'm totally frustrated.

0 Kudos

snirnisim
Contributor III

well i think that some how there is a problem with the vga connector...

i tried inserting the original microSD and i'm not getting vga too.

i know that usually there is a current leakage from the vga that lights the FLT and 5v leds but now it's not happen.

how is it possible?!?!?

is there a clever solution to that kind of situation?

0 Kudos

snirnisim
Contributor III

well i PING sucessfully.

i also tried: setenv bootargs 'setenv bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200 console=tty0 video=mxcdi1fb:RGB565,VGA-XGA di1_primary vga'" but no change i still get only the root@freescale ~$ in hyperterminal and nothing on the screen.

this terminal in hyperterminal can be used to install packages such as git wget or samba?

how can i get it to the vga screen?

here is my enviroment:

MX53-LOCO U-Boot > printenv3-LOCO U-Boot >000000HzID h

bootdelay=3OCO U-Boot

baudrate=11520033333333Hzock 

loadaddr=0x70800000t to MMC...ck   : 4

netdev=eth0che has Wri

ethprime=FEC0.. doneock  

uboot=u-boot.bin[ MX53-LOCO U-Bo

nfsroot=/opt/eldk/arm133333333Hz resetting

ethact=FEC0e ha Md

U-

serverip=10.0.0.1382012 - 23:52:41)HC:

ipaddr=10.0.0.105ck  : 8         

bootcmd_mmc=run bootargs_base bootargs_nfs bootargs_mmc; mmc dev 0; mmc read ${l oadaddr} 0x800 0x1800; bootm

lvds=video=mxcdi0fb:RGB666,XGA ldb

lcd=video=mxcdi0fb:RGB24,SEIKO-WVGA

vga=video=mxcdi1fb:GBR24,VGA-XGA di1_primary tve

hdmi=video=mxcdi0fb:RGB24,1024x768M@60

bootargs_base=setenv bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200 ${vga}

stdin=serial

stdout=serial

stderr=serial

Environment size: 1097/8188 bytes

thank you for the replay,

snir

Prabhu Sundararaj said:

1) how can i modified it to have: sata access, ethernet and a fully functional terminal in the vga that i can use with a usb keyboard?

sata access: SATA will be detected as /dev/sda. If there is file system it will be detected as /dev/sda1 .... You need to mount this access.

ethernet :The bootargs already already has ip=dhcp. so already network should have configured. Try to ping to the computers on the same network

fully functional terminal in the vga : Make sure boot args has console=tty0, for example as below

setenv bootargs 'setenv bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200 console=tty0 video=mxcdi1fb:RGB565,VGA-XGA di1_primary vga'

4) how can i make the board compile and run the project code automaticly after startup?

Edit /etc/rc.local file to start the program automatically after boot.

0 Kudos

snirnisim
Contributor III

thank you i'll try using that.

snir

Mario Medina Arzate said:

Hi. I maybe can help with a couple of questions.

Attached find a file that talks about configuring these parameters. It says in its title EVK but talks about other boards (such as START board) as well. Here it states the configuration for booting from SATA and VGA for START Board (page 14).

There you can also find how to update just the Kernel (uImage) - page 12, basically it is:

sudo dd if=uImage of=/dev/sdb bs=512 seek=2048 && sync && sync

of -> shall be the SD card you want to update.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

0 Kudos

PrabhuSundarara
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

sata access: SATA will be detected as /dev/sda. If there is file system it will be detected as /dev/sda1 .... You need to mount this access.

ethernet :The bootargs already already has ip=dhcp. so already network should have configured. Try to ping to the computers on the same network

fully functional terminal in the vga : Make sure boot args has console=tty0, for example as below

setenv bootargs 'setenv bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200 console=tty0 video=mxcdi1fb:RGB565,VGA-XGA di1_primary vga'

Edit /etc/rc.local file to start the program automatically after boot.

0 Kudos

MarioMedinaArza
Contributor I

Hi. I maybe can help with a couple of questions.

Attached find a file that talks about configuring these parameters. It says in its title EVK but talks about other boards (such as START board) as well. Here it states the configuration for booting from SATA and VGA for START Board (page 14).

There you can also find how to update just the Kernel (uImage) - page 12, basically it is:

sudo dd if=uImage of=/dev/sdb bs=512 seek=2048 && sync && sync

of -> shall be the SD card you want to update.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

0 Kudos