cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

build u-boot from source for the i.MX28EVK

Jean-PaulLePape
Contributor I

Hello,

I would like to build uboot from source for the i.MX28EVK board. Do anyone knows how to do that? I have u-boot-2011-12 it's that there is no support for that in the main line.

Do I new a patch to be able to build from source? If yes, where can I get it?

Thanks for your help,

:-)

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

blsousan
Contributor III

Thanks.  That did it!

However, now my new U-boot built from the mainstream Uboot runs an also loads and unpacks the Linux kernel, it dies after that.  However, my original U-boot from tlib works fine.  Are there some patches and/or settings I am missing?

Thanks,

Bills

0 Kudos

ThomasWaldecker
Contributor I

Change step 4 to:

make u-boot.sb

To make a u-boot sb image to use with the mfgtools

0 Kudos

blsousan
Contributor III

All,

I am building u-boot for iMX28 from the mainstream Uboot and getting error in mkimage of missing command line parameter CONFIG_IMX_CONFIG.  I have done the following steps:

1. git clone git://git.denx.de/u-boot-imx.git
2. setup paths for finding my cross-compiler
3.  make mx28evk_config
4.  make u-boot.imx
5.  It then gets through most of the build process and then fails on this command line:

$ tools/mkimage -n -T imximage -e 0x40000100 -d u-boot.bin u-boot.imx

after more digging, its looks like the CONFIG_IMX_CONFIG var is not getting filled in (I believe this value should follow the -n parameter)

Thanks,
Bills

0 Kudos

ThomasWaldecker
Contributor I

also note that MX28EVK is supported in the mainline repo of U-Boot.

0 Kudos

YS
Contributor IV

I'm not sure about i.MX53.

Talking about i.MX28, DRAM initialization is NOT in U-Boot but in the primary loader (bootlet).

It is in imx-bootlets-src-10.12.01/boot_prep/init-mx28.c.

Neil Simpson said:

Hi Jean-Paul, thanks for your useful post.

I have a design based on the iMX53 QSB, but I have a different DRAM configuration.  I have to re-build u-boot to make it work with this different RAM configuration, but I cannot see what file to change in the u-boot source.  Can you help?

Thanks,

Neil.

0 Kudos

NeilSimpson
Contributor I

Hi Jean-Paul, thanks for your useful post.

I have a design based on the iMX53 QSB, but I have a different DRAM configuration.  I have to re-build u-boot to make it work with this different RAM configuration, but I cannot see what file to change in the u-boot source.  Can you help?

Thanks,

Neil.

Jean-Paul Le Pape said:

Hello,
So I was able to build u-boot without using LTIB enviroment. For anybody that may be interested these are the steps:

1) Go on the freescale website and download the file: L2.6.35_10.12.01_SDK_source_bundle.tar.gz
2) Untar the file

3) Get the u-boot-v2009.08-imx_10.12.01.tar.bz2 from in the folder L2.6.35_10.12.01_ER_source untar
4) Get the u-boot-2009.08.tar.bz2 from in the folder L2.6.35_10.12.01_ER_source and untar it
5) Patch uboot and build the package: UBOOt will be in the folder u-boot-2009.08 . But at this stage you can not use yet.

6) Get the elftosb-10.12.01.tar.gz from in the folder L2.6.35_10.12.01_ER_source and build the package. Make sure that the binary generated are in your PATH
7) Get the imx-bootlets-src-10.12.01.tar.gz from in the folder L2.6.35_10.12.01_ER_source and build it. You need to adjust the make file to point to your tool chain, your kernel
and the uboot that you built

You are done.

If more details are needed please feel free to ask

Have a nice day,

Jean-Paul Le Pape said:

Hi Amet,

Unfortunatly for me, after looking at all the platforms available in the LTIB project, I could not find any specific package for the imx28 evk board.

There is a imx27ads, do you have any idea of what is that?

Thanks,

Ahmet YUCE said:

If you installed iMX28 BSP & LTIB, you already have patched u-boot source for iMX28. After build uboot using LTIB, patched u-boot sources are left in ltib/rpm/BUILD/ .
0 Kudos

Jean-PaulLePape
Contributor I

Hello,
So I was able to build u-boot without using LTIB enviroment. For anybody that may be interested these are the steps:

1) Go on the freescale website and download the file: L2.6.35_10.12.01_SDK_source_bundle.tar.gz
2) Untar the file

3) Get the u-boot-v2009.08-imx_10.12.01.tar.bz2 from in the folder L2.6.35_10.12.01_ER_source untar
4) Get the u-boot-2009.08.tar.bz2 from in the folder L2.6.35_10.12.01_ER_source and untar it
5) Patch uboot and build the package: UBOOt will be in the folder u-boot-2009.08 . But at this stage you can not use yet.

6) Get the elftosb-10.12.01.tar.gz from in the folder L2.6.35_10.12.01_ER_source and build the package. Make sure that the binary generated are in your PATH
7) Get the imx-bootlets-src-10.12.01.tar.gz from in the folder L2.6.35_10.12.01_ER_source and build it. You need to adjust the make file to point to your tool chain, your kernel
and the uboot that you built

You are done.

If more details are needed please feel free to ask

Have a nice day,

Jean-Paul Le Pape said:

Hi Amet,

Unfortunatly for me, after looking at all the platforms available in the LTIB project, I could not find any specific package for the imx28 evk board.

Thanks,

Ahmet YUCE said:

If you installed iMX28 BSP & LTIB, you already have patched u-boot source for iMX28. After build uboot using LTIB, patched u-boot sources are left in ltib/rpm/BUILD/ .
0 Kudos

Jean-PaulLePape
Contributor I

Hi Amet,

Thanks,

Ahmet YUCE said:

0 Kudos

Jean-PaulLePape
Contributor I

Hi Ahmet,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not using LTIB.

I'm using crosstool-ng for the tool chain and I would like to use u-boot-2011.12 version. I did built the kernel from source too and that worked fine.
 According to what you said, LTIB contains the uboot patches for the imx28 EVK board? If that is the case I just need to get u-boot package and I should be all set?

Thanks,

Ahmet YUCE said:

0 Kudos

AhmetYUCE
Contributor II
0 Kudos