Richard Serge

Long Reload Times (CW5.1 & S08GT32)

Discussion created by Richard Serge on Apr 12, 2007
Latest reply on Apr 16, 2007 by David Payne
Every time I go through a debug-edit-reload cycle I spend 21 seconds waiting for this Cyclone Pro to reload my new code into the chip. If you multiply this 21 seconds by the number of times I do this in a lengthy project, then multiply that by all the programmers out there doing the same thing, that comes to an awful lot of wasted time. Seems to me that MetroWerks/Freescale/whoeveritisnow would have realized that this part of CodeWarrior should merit a great deal of attention in speed optimization.

All those windows that appear and flash a sequence of messages up the screen way too fast to read, and reloading the Cyclone with its programming algorithm every single time, then actually loading my code (which is surprisingly quick), then sitting still for about 9 seconds doing who-knows-what after it resets my target ... all those things when all I want it to do is to simply reload and get out of the way. It's beginning to bug me, as you can probably tell.

OK. I'm now getting to my question. I want to know how everyone else goes through their debug-edit-reload cycle. This is what I do... First, test & figure out where my code went wrong. Second, edit the source (assembly for me) and re-assemble. Then (and here is mainly where my question is focused) I switch from the editor window over to the debug window (BDM_P&E_Multilink_CyclonePro.ini) and under the File menu I choose "Load Application...". If I click on the Debug tool in the editor window it takes a bit longer, bringing up the original Connection Manager and making me click Connect.

How do you do it and how long does it take?

Outcomes