Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTIB compile error: videodev.h not found

madmax
Contributor I

Hello,

since days I'm looping with this problem:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In file included from gstv4l2object.c:35:0:
v4l2_calls.h:33:30: fatal error: linux/videodev.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[3]: *** [libgstvideo4linux2_la-gstv4l2object.lo] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
error: Bad exit status from /home/mcasoni/freescale/ltib/tmp/rpm-tmp.32757 (%build)

RPM build errors:
    Bad exit status from /home/mcasoni/freescale/ltib/tmp/rpm-tmp.32757 (%build)
Build time for gst-plugins-good: 175 seconds

Failed building gst-plugins-good

f_buildrpms() returned an error, exiting
traceback:
 main:560

Started: Mon Dec 26 15:28:12 2011
Ended:   Mon Dec 26 15:49:37 2011
Elapsed: 1285 seconds

These packages failed to build:
gst-plugins-good

Build Failed

Exiting on error or interrupt
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More details:

-> I'm using a IMX53 QSB with Freescale BSP 11.09.01

-> gst-plugins-good is the original BSP version 0.10.16 (unmodified)

-> The complete LFS and kernel are properly build and running on target when the default arm-fsl-linux-gnueabi- toolchain is used. When the toolchain is modified to "custom", using a CodeSourcery 2011.09 version (same options) the problem appears: can't find linux/videodev.h

Could anyone of you experts explain the reason of such error ?

Why build fail in such way by only selecting another toolchain?

Tks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

KrishnaPavan
Contributor II

Hi Massimo,

I have had this problems with the tool chains.

For a release of BSP with in a period, the tool chain is different, is what I have observed.

Currently, I have used 3 tool chains on BSP's.

Problem with them is that, for every Kernel Version, a new tool chain is present, and messing with them will get the compatibility issues to surface.

Make sure you use them properly, not only with the LTIB, but if you want to install some other softwares,make sure you use a proper gcc ....version.

Regards  :: Krishna Pavan

0 Kudos

madmax
Contributor I

Hi Krishna,

thank you, ... and in effect I tried installing the last gst-plugins-good package from Freescale... exactly what a Freescale FAE did a few weeks ago during a seminar. Only modified the compiler... however, not a detail !!

Anyway it seems the problem is fixed now. One possible solution is patching the code. V4L version 1 library is no longer supported, and the statement:

#include <linux/videodev.h>

in '/rpm/BUILD/gst-plugins-good-0.10.16/sys/v4l2/v4l2_calls.h' could be commented out, leaving the 'include videodev2.h' statement in the next line. This is a patch from other forums. It works fine.

I finally preferred leaving the source unmodified, and fixing the problem in a different way: Getting back to gcc 4.4.1-xxx (either FSL toolchain in the BSP, or CodeSourcery version 2010q1, they both work). In fact any newer version seems failing when linking other packages in my BSP. Another known problem that could surely be fixed, but preferred staying away and using an older toolchain.

I don't understand why but, in addiction, getting back to gcc 4.4.1-xxx also fixes the problem above...  

Regards

Massimo

0 Kudos

KrishnaPavan
Contributor II

Hi Massimo, try to add supported packages!

If you are installing a Package on target, then you need to check whether supported dev files and other dependencies are present or not!

Check for the dependencies also.

Use the verbose output for compilation, so that you can know what is causing an error.

Regards :: Krishna pavan

0 Kudos