cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting USB Wifi dongle to work on Ubuntu

Albert1z
Contributor II

Hi imx53 experts,

I would like to get USB Wifi dongle (Ralink RT3070) to work on imx53 quickstart board running on Ubuntu. On desktop PC running Ubuntu, the USB Wifi dongle just works after plugging in. I am surprised that the Ubuntu on the imx53 quickstart board did not work.

Am I right that all I have to do is to re-compile the kernel with the right options? May I know what are the right options to look out for?

Thank you.

Labels (1)
6 Replies

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Have you double checked it imx53QSB kernel source code has support for the bluetooth device you want?

0 Kudos

VJ96
Contributor II

I am done with ltib on my 11.10 host
http://vijay496.blogspot.in/2012/03/ltib-for-ubuntu-1110-error-faced.html
Albert said:

Thank you for your quick reply. I am using Ubuntu 11.10 and LTIB does not support this Ubuntu version now. Is it possible to compile the driver separately, add it to the root filesystem and get the Wifi dongle to work in this manner?

Thank you.

DominicS
Contributor I

It is more involved than that. You will need to add the USB Dongle as a USB interface and class into the USB ARC driver framework. Did you go through the Linux reference manual that shipped with the DVD? That is a good starting point.

But as far as I know, this is not a quick LTIB config change. Someone else in the community may be able to chime in and help.

Albert said:

Thank you for your quick reply. I am using Ubuntu 11.10 and LTIB does not support this Ubuntu version now. Is it possible to compile the driver separately, add it to the root filesystem and get the Wifi dongle to work in this manner?

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Albert1z
Contributor II

Thank you.

0 Kudos

fx007
Contributor I

HI, Albert,

Have you found the solution for this problem? I am trying to do the same thing here.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

DominicS
Contributor I

Working on Desktop Linux does not imply that it will work on the embedded platform. The processor it is compiled for is x86 as opposed to ARM.

If you have the source code of the driver, then it can be added to LTIB and compiled for i.mx53

0 Kudos