Dual display on iMX53 QSB (VGA and HDMI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual display on iMX53 QSB (VGA and HDMI)

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

How is the kernel command line to display (android) UI on VGA and video playback on HDMI?

I´m using R10.3

Labels (1)
9 Replies

Mats1z
Contributor III

hi Daiane,

I'm sucessful in configuring dual display but the secondary screen is resized. It is mentioned in i.MX_Android_R10.4_User_Guide.html

4.4.3 Dual-Display

UI will be output to both the displays if the secondary is connected with i.MX51 BBG board or i.MX53 TABLET. The image in secondary display is resized from the image in the primary display.

In my case the secondary display is hdmi and I need the display in full screen. What will be the possible solution?

Regards,

Mathews

0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Do you need UI to be shown on secondary display? Or it´s only for video output?

In case you is going to show UI, I believe you will need to change the source code. I think kernel can configure different resolution output for each display (I´m not sure regarding your version, but it´s easy to you to double check it), so I think you will only need to adjust something on surface flinger

0 Kudos

Mats1z
Contributor III

Actually I need only one display at a time. But I want to switch between vga and hdmi dynamically. ie without rebooting. when I connect hdmi I should get hdmi out and when i remove hdmi and connect vga I want vga out. Is it possible to manage this by turning ON/OFF  fb0 and fb1?

0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I think so. I think it would be a good idea.

You can configure each framebuffer with one resolution (vga X hdmi) and control what would be BLANK or not.

Could you, please test it an let us know the results?

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Thanks Remi!

0 Kudos

rlorriaux
Contributor I

Hi Daiane,

This will be addressed in the next Adeneo release (ETA: this week), with one limitation: the video will either be played back on the secondary device or on both (never on the primary for the dual display case. Following releases might add more flexibility (see r10.3.1 for SABRE).

Remi Lorriaux - Adeneo Embedded

0 Kudos

Mats1z
Contributor III

hi lorriaux,

I'm using R10.4 bsp and enabled dual display feature. I configured vga as primary and hdmi as secondary in bootargs. But I need both UI and video playback in both displays. I need only one display at a time but the display should switch dynamically from vga  when hdmi is connected.

How can I configure output through primary only when secondary is not connected and turn off output through primary when secondary is connected?

Looking forward to hear from you,

Mathews Paul

0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I´m sure r.lorriaux will have a better comment than mine, but let me think out loud.

You could create a udev rule to manager the primary/secondary swapping. Then configure properly the setprop for primary/secondary and for dual display.

0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

with the following command line:

bootargs console=ttymxc0 init=/init androidboot.console=ttymxc0 ip=dhcp gpu_nommu, gpu_memory=64M di1_primary video=mxcdi1fb:BGR24,VGA-XGA vga 1080P30 hdmi

I was able to get UI on both VGA and HDMI:

541-dual.jpg

and I can see HDMI tag on top of both displays:

543-hdmitag.JPG

But when playback will be displayed on VGA and HDMI will become black.

How can I invert it? And get playback on HDMI and UI on VGA?

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos