cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Display on EVK board

AnkurMaheshwari
Contributor I

Hi,

Can anyone suggest how do I get dual display VGA and LCD working on EVK board.

I could see EVK supports VGA, LCD and LVDS.

By default display is coming on LCD i.e. without any u-boot passed command line argument.

Looking at forums and imxdev.org and IMX53UG.pdf I understood that I need to pass multiple video= argument and VGA port will start working. (all the docs are mentioning about QSB or SABRE)

Mainly I followed following link and got Ubuntu up and running on EVK board with LCD touch display

http://www.imxdev.org/wiki/index.php?title=I.MX53_QSB_Ubuntu_Dual_Display

But on same trial as mentioned on link, VGA did not come up. I tried VGA, VGA-XGA, 800x600, 800x480 - 16@60/55 options but still could not see anything on VGA monitor. Also I did unblanking of fb from /sys/class/graphics/fb[0/1/2]/blank but of no use for VGA case.

I am finally looking into /arch/arm/mach-5x/mxc53_evk.c file fb_data structure, it provides CLAA-WVGA (I understand its for LCD) and 1024x786M-16@60 (may be for VGA, but looks to usually used for HDMI in imx53 boards variant).

I feel I am missing some info, I have raise same query to freescale tech support, but they are yet to comeback... I don't know how much time that shall take.

If anyone of you have tried dual-display on EVK, please let me know setting/changes...

Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

AnkurMaheshwari
Contributor I

Hi Roshni,

Thanks for sharing details, but looks like these setting will not work in my EVK board (Although I tried your stuff). Now I feel there is something wrong with the board, since most of the cases VGA easily works after passing correct command line argument as mentioned by Jason.

Just wondering what to do next...

Regards

Ankur

0 Kudos

Roshni
Contributor II

Oops forgot the bootargs. Please see attached. 

0 Kudos

Roshni
Contributor II

Hi Ankur,

I used the IMX53 Start (LOCO) Board and following are the details: 

Thanks,

Roshni

0 Kudos

AnkurMaheshwari
Contributor I

Hi Roshni,

Is it possbile for you to share uImage or kernel .config file with me?

Also the video argument you passed from u-boot, if different than Jason's

Thanks,

Ankur

0 Kudos

AnkurMaheshwari
Contributor I

Hi Roshni,

Thanks for reply, but it did not worked :(

I understand you have tried your changes on EVK (Blue color) board on Linux 2.6.35.3. I tried combination of what you suggested and what Jason suggested but the super VGA dosen't come up.

VGA does get power on-off by flipping /sys/class/graphics/fb[0/1]/blank. Even when X is starting up it shows slight flash on VGA monitor but after that it goes blank.  

One question running in my mind, has anyone trial VGA port enabling on EVK?

It must have worked on other IMX53 board variants but on EVK has anyone tried...

Roshni said:

Hi Ankur,

I had struggled with the same issue and I narrowed down the issue of dual display to a memory corruption in the driver - ipu-disp.c (ipu_init_sync_panel).

Please find attached the patch for the same. Hope it helps!

Thanks,
Roshni 

0 Kudos

AnkurMaheshwari
Contributor I

Hi Jason,

Thanks for reply, but it did not worked for me, I will now try what Roshni has suggested in patch.

Regards

Ankur

Jason Chen said:

hi, Ankur,

Pls try cmdline like "video=mxcdi0fb:800x480M@55,RGB565 video=mxcdi1fb:VGA-XGA,GBR24 vga di1_primary hdmi=off"

0 Kudos

Roshni
Contributor II

Hi Ankur,

I had struggled with the same issue and I narrowed down the issue of dual display to a memory corruption in the driver - ipu-disp.c (ipu_init_sync_panel).

Please find attached the patch for the same. Hope it helps!

Thanks,
Roshni 

0 Kudos

JasonChen1z
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

hi, Ankur,

Pls try cmdline like "video=mxcdi0fb:800x480M@55,RGB565 video=mxcdi1fb:VGA-XGA,GBR24 vga di1_primary hdmi=off"

0 Kudos