cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.6.31 Kernel Hangs on bootup- iMX25

Venku
Contributor I

Hello,

I am using an iMX25 board which has a Micron MT29F1G08AACWP NAND Flash.

Downloaded the L2.6.31_09.12.01.SDK. The redboot_TO1_1.bin didn't work upfront with the board (it gave error message.

Made changes to mxc_nand_parts.inl to include this NAND info, recompiled the boot loader, burnt it using the ATK tool (changes made in tool to burn to this NAND Flash). No warnings or errors in Bootloader messages. fis commands work properly.

The linux2.6.31 patch was applied to the linux 2.6.31 in the pkgs/patches folder (just ran patch-kernel.sh).

Made changes to drivers/mtd/nand/nand_device_info.c. Added changes for MT29F1G08, similar to

(http://www.voipac.com/downloads/imx/51/src/kernel/linux-2.6.35.3_imx-vmx51-diff0.txt)

The zImage was downloaded over serial (ymodem) and did fis write on NAND. fis list shows the kernel at 0x300000.

fis load kernel

exec -c "noinitrd console=ttymxc0,115200 remove_dbg"

Uncompressing kernel............................booting.

The board LCD lights up.

No more messages on console. It just hangs up there.

I thought it would get to the point where it won't find the rootfs and stop there.

Any pointers as to where I am going wrong would be helpful. Please let me know if you need more information.

Venkat

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Venku
Contributor I

ok, the console comes up now... :)

- 2 issues.

- The RFS didn't have the ttymxc0 dev point created 

- The RFS created earlier had a wrong NAND erase block size

Re-created RFS and used the pre-built kernel. Got the console!

Can anyone share the .config file for this pre-built kernel (comes with L2.6.31_MX25_SDK_0912_Image)? (coz i ain't getting to the same level with my kernel).

Thanks in Advance

Venkat

0 Kudos

Venku
Contributor I

@ Krishna Pavan

No, there aren't any messages when the screen splashes.

However, if i remove the console=/dev/ttymxc0 i can see the messages directly on the screen (writing to fb).

My redboot gives me a prompt, so i guess, figuring it out should not be difficult.

@ Fabio Estevam

Thanks for your reply. I don't have a debug board connected, so, used remove_dbg (actually i had followed one of your earlier replies in the freescale community posts).

0 Kudos

fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
If you have the debug board connected you should remove "remove_dbg".
0 Kudos

KrishnaPavan
Contributor II

Hi Venkatraman,

There should be some messages when the screen splashes during the second stage of Bootloading.

So, whatever the env variables you have given along with the display of the serial [ UART ] status will be in the prompt.

There will be info about other consoles also, stating that they are not in use/disabled.

Regards      ::     Krishna Pavan

0 Kudos

Venku
Contributor I

Hello Krishna,

Thanks for your reply. I just wanted to know if the kernel was booting up and as to why i am not able to view the console messages.

Now i gave the rootfs and other params in kernel command line. The board boots up like charm and am able to view the TS Calibration utility. Thanks.

Still pondering over the as to why there are no messages on serial (SERIAL_IMX_CONSOLE is enabled)..

Venkat

0 Kudos

KrishnaPavan
Contributor II

Hi Venkatraman,

What does this "noinitrd console=ttymxc0,115200 remove_dbg" mean?

The temporary filesystem is not present, Kernel booted properly, thats all, after the kernel has booted fully, it checked for a permanent rootfs, which is not present to carry the job forward.

I am in search of, what else can the board do after this? i think task assigned is done by it.

0 Kudos

Venku
Contributor I

Enabled splash screen (DeviceDriver-->Graphics Support-->Boot Logo). I am able to see the penguin on the board, but no console messages :(

Tried with console=/dev/ttymxc0 (ttymxc1, ttymxc2 ttyS0) no luck.

Venkat

0 Kudos