i.mx53 not booting up

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.mx53 not booting up

AlexanderKelle1
Contributor II

Hi, I have a i.MX53 quick start board and my board does not boot up. The only thing shown on the screen is the Linux penguin.I just wanted to know if anyone else this issue and has any advice. Thanks for your help. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

yvan
Contributor II

Hello,

I just bought an iMX53 QSB and I got a similar behavior.

I connected a screen on the VGA port, press PWR ON then the penguin appears on the top left corner of the screen while the kernel is booting, and when xorg starts, the screen becomes black.

On the serial terminal, the boot sequence seems OK, all gnome services are running, but nothing on the screen

I stopped Xorg and tried some basic applications based on framebuffer : on the terminal everything is OK, but still nothing on the screen!

I tried the u-boot bootcmd_obds command and I was abble to see the Freescale Logo on fullscreen, so (with the penguin at startup) I deduced that this shouldn't be an hardware problem...

Then I formatted the original SDcard and installed the linux image available on freescale => same behaviour

Then I tried the android prebuild image from Adeneo => same behaviour (on terminal android is OK, but nothing on the screen)

finally, I tried this very last Ubuntu 11.10 :

http://imxcommunity.org/group/imx53quickstartboard/forum/topics/newer-ubuntu-on-i-mx53-qsb

And I got Xorg working!

but I can't change the resolution (1024*768) and it's extremely slow!

Any clue?

0 Kudos

mohammadreza
Contributor II

Hi dear all

I have problem with iMX53, it doesn't work and doesn't send any thing on serial port. I think It has hardware problem, but powers in test points, are good. In plug in, only LED turned on!!!

Please help me.

How I can understand processor is fine and didn't broke up? 

0 Kudos

wayne_ng
Contributor I

It is quite possible that your board is booting correctly, it is just that you cannot see anything happening you can easily assume there is a problem.

I believe you need to set your terminal settings to 115200_N_8

Alexander Keller said:

I just started working on this board, so I do not know very much. From the tutorials online, it showed that I can view the boot up of the quick start board in the Linux terminal. Well, when I have the Linux terminal up turn on the quick start board, nothing shows up in the linux terminal. Is there some kind of setting I need to change on my computer to view the boot up process? That was the first idea I had to try and fix this issue, but I can even see where the boot up is stuck. 

Wayne said:
What information are you getting from the serial port?
0 Kudos

AlexanderKelle1
Contributor II
I just started working on this board, so I do not know very much. From the tutorials online, it showed that I can view the boot up of the quick start board in the Linux terminal. Well, when I have the Linux terminal up turn on the quick start board, nothing shows up in the linux terminal. Is there some kind of setting I need to change on my computer to view the boot up process? That was the first idea I had to try and fix this issue, but I can even see where the boot up is stuck. 

Wayne said:
0 Kudos

wayne_ng
Contributor I
0 Kudos