Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building LTIB on multicore CPU

Jump to solution
mmaaxx
Contributor III

Hello,

I just upgraded my PC, to make rpmbuilder and ltib work faster. But, it seems like it's not using all the features. I can clearly see only one core gets pretty much all of the load. Just like I'm building something with "make" command.

And I know that make supports "-j6" parameter, that would enable 6 cores, and significantly speeds up the process.

Are there such parameter for LTIB? Or any other way to take advatage from a multicore cpu?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
michaeldiamond
Contributor III

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-fsl-linux-gnueabi- uImage -j4

This makes the kerner into a uImage for uboot and uses 4 cores.  you can substitute uImage for menuconfig to select the options you need in your kernal (the -j4 is not needed for menuconfig), or modules to build the kernel modules.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
fushi_peng
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi ,

If you just want to build the kernel,  you can goto the rpm/BUILD/linux , use make -j x to speed up the process.

But sometimes  you compile the kernel first , then use ltib compile the whole packages, the kernel may be compiled one more time, and this time not the -j 6.

I suggest you can read the ltib file and bin/* , config/*,  most configuration  in there. 

Peng Fushi

0 Kudos
chris321
Contributor IV

Sorry for answering to this old topic.

But which environment variables do we need for making the kernel directly?

only export arch=arm ?

0 Kudos
michaeldiamond
Contributor III

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-fsl-linux-gnueabi- uImage -j4

This makes the kerner into a uImage for uboot and uses 4 cores.  you can substitute uImage for menuconfig to select the options you need in your kernal (the -j4 is not needed for menuconfig), or modules to build the kernel modules.

0 Kudos
chris321
Contributor IV

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos