cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC based HC08 Monitor Mode Tool

Z_C_Wang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
The software package consists of interface routines which drive RS232-->MON08 hardware.
The program fuctions include: pass security routine, program RAM, run program in RAM, read
RAM and ROM.
Starting with the source code, you may build your own FLASH programmer or production line
testers.
This program was tested on on my own PC which is running WinXP,VB6.0.
You may need to install VB run-time library and MSCOMM32.ocx first, if VB is not installed
before.

Message Edited by t.dowe on 2009-08-31 04:37 PM
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Z_C_Wang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
The attachment is a presentation of this tool in PDF format.
This is really a very low level tool. Not everyone need it.
This tool can only read FLASH directly.
To program FLASH, data should be downloaded to RAM through Moditor Mode and then excute FLASH Programming Routines downloaded to RAM previously or built in ROM. P&E prog08sz also uses similar methord.

Message Edited by t.dowe on 2009-08-31 04:43 PM
0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi ZCWang,

Well I finally bit. Fiddled around getting the VB libraries and the OCX and then the powerpoint viewer for the instuctions. Not sure it was all worth it though.
I tried it on a GP32 and it works - sort of. I just tried single byte writes and reads and about half the time it works, the other half it doesn't. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 writes to get the byte written.
Even if it worked perfectly I am not sure where you think you are going with it. P&E Micro give fully functional software away for free! And this only writes to RAM.
I'll keep it though as sometimes it is good to have a real low level tool to poke around where others impose limitations.
Anyone else tried it?

0 Kudos

Z_C_Wang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Hi,peg:
I reposted this message not for attracting more eyeballs, it just because I can't find a way to edit my message or update the attached file!
Yes, it can't be called real software. It is just a demo to show how the Monitor Mode Commands work. And, some one may want to read the VB source code. I wrote it just for interest.
Maybe, I should have added flash programming functions, and I would have to write hundreds of algorithms for every kind of devices. As you mentioned, P&E has provided much better software to do this.
Yes, it's not very stable, but not so bad on my system. I can't conclude that the fault belongs to the program, hardware or internal timing character of the device. Fortunately, writing S records does not show worse than writing single byte.

Message Edited by Z.C.Wang on 2007-03-0911:07 AM

0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi,
After a few hours your post is frozen and it can't be edited, even by the author.
If you need to post updates I think it would be better to just reply to yourself (even though I believe this is a sign you are going insane). That way it is more obvious it is an update to the readers (you could make a few notes about it here too).

Also, actually I have already recommended it to someone on the forum as they wanted to make their own!

0 Kudos