s12ub problem

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

s12ub problem

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
I have 2 s12ub boards and both seem to be defective.

On the pod side, wehn you reset into either bl or pod you get garbage like:
(pressing reset multiple times)

ú-Bug12 Bootloader v1.0
D-Bug±.0.0

a) Eras.0

a) Erase Flash

a) Erase Flash
b) Pr ªªHè þBootloader v1.0.0

a) Erase Fì

I have two of them and they both do this.
Any idea who I could contact ?
I am evaluating boards for a university course.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi,

I don't know what a s12ub is but what you have shown looks like serial Bootloader comms where the baudrate is a bit off???
Untrimmed internal reference?

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
An LFEBS12UB - a freescale university board aka s12ub.

Has an xtal oscillator. 8 Mhz. I have to agree it looks like a drifting clock. But then problems don't usually turn out as they seem. The BDM processor and the target side both do the same thing ( flashed bootloader into the target using my PE BDM). I have serveral other EVBs I never had a problem like this.

I was hoping maybe someone here has used this board or knows the freescale group that made it.
0 Kudos

mortontd
Contributor I
I am using 17 of these boards for my course now - have not had any problems with the boards themselves - just the CodeWarrior debugger.

It sounds to me like a serial comm problem on the cable or PC - especially if it's happening on both the POD and target MCU (different MCUs, XTALS, RS232, and connectors) D-Bug12 use XON/XOFF flow control but I don't think that matters unless you're programming EEPROM of Flash. I'd strongly recommend TeraTerm over HyperTerm.

Email me off list if you want more info: Todd.Morton@wwu.edu
0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
I tend to favor NOICE as a debugger. Earlier versions of CW debugger were even worse.

Also noice has a mixed C and asm view that I like.

It has a utility that converts abs files to it's noi format. It's usable with both GNU and CW.

It supports pod mode and sermon, and of course usb pods.

CW is really bad at burning. It wants to erase all of flash every time, whereas noice will only erase sectors/banks it needs to burn. I have a project that uses ram and one page of flash and it needs to live with bootloader and debug-12 - I had no choice but to use NOICE. There is probably a way to get CW to do things differently, but it is so under documented in that area that I opted to just use NOICE.
0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
You have to use the cable that came with it.

A 'regular' serial cable must not convey flow control correctly.
0 Kudos