cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CodeWarrior 8.0 USB TAP connectivity problem with DSC 56800/E

roadrunner_xxl
Contributor I
Hi folks,

we have a serious problem with Code Warrior 8.0 and JTAG USB TAP. When we attempted to download a application to our target MC56F8357 we are getting the following error from CW ‘CCS ProtocolPlugin : CSS Core not responding’. We have searched in this forum and followed the hints given to set TCLK to 500 kHz and modify ccs.cfg to ‘config cc utap’ without success:-(

On the MC56F8357 we have validated the power supply on all pins which is correct. On TCK we see the clock and some data on TDO, but no connection is established by CW.

Any help would be appreciated!

/roadrunner-xxl
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies

GuyRoux
Contributor I

Hi,

I have a problem with USB Tap I have codewarrior 8.3 and i would program a DSP56F807 but when I wanted to enter in debug mode the program stop just after the start and when I wanted to program my dsp with the flash ide programmer it failed andi had the followed message :

CHawkV2::ConfigFile::LoadFromFile: Invalid command 0

My USB tap is detected by windows and I pass to program a MC56F8006DEMO but I can't program my 56F807.

My USB TAP have the followed number under :

900-75116

REV D

08340356                 ONCE

I have 14 pin out but my jtag connector of my DSP56F807 have only ten

Pinout JTAG USB TAP                                        Pinin JTAG 56F807

1 TDI                                                                1 +3V

2 GND                                                               2 GND

3 TDO                                                               3 TDI

4 GND                                                               4 GND

5TCK                                                                5 TDO

6 GND                                                               6 TMS

7                                                                     7 TCK

8 key                                                                8 DE

9 RESET IN                                                        9 RESET

10 TMS                                                            10 TRST

11 3.3VDC

13 DE*

14 TRST*in

Do I add component between the two connector ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos

DWM
Contributor I

I don't know if this is what you're problem is or not, but I experienced similar symptoms to what you're describing.  Our problem was that there was not enough capacitance on the crystal to start the microprocessor oscillators.  The reference design that we worked from did not show extra capacitors attached to the crystal and the board in fact did not have any.  The reason that design worked was apparently due to very long traces which added the necessary capacitance to start the oscillators.  When we added 5-10 pF of capacitance to the crystal then everything started to work correctly.  Our board did not have very long traces without the capacitors and was actually laid out the way you want it to be with the crystal as close as possible to the processor.  You may want to evaluate whether you need some additional capacitance to get the oscillators started.  Hope this helps.

DWM

0 Kudos

roadrunner_xxl
Contributor I
Hi DWM,

Thank you for contributing to our solution :smileyhappy:

Isn’t it the internal oscillator which the chip starts with? One our evaluation board there is no crystal mounted but traces are there, on our board we have an crystal. We have put the CLKMODE pin to GND, does this mean that the chip tries to start up with the external crystal rather with the internal oscillator? Our understanding was that switching to external clock have to be done by code and CLKMODE will only take effect if we have switched to external clock source by setting the corresponding CPU registers. If I understand you right the capacity on XTAL and EXTAL traces will effect the internal oscillator even in internal oscillator mode , is this right? (would be a very strange dependency). Where do you put exactly the extra capacity in?

Many thank in advanced,

/roadrunner-xxl

0 Kudos

DWM
Contributor I
All I know is that we had the same symptoms that you are describing on our project and our solution was
to add components around the crystal to get it to start up properly.  I have attached a portion of the schematic that we used to help you understand how we connected these components.  After we did this it worked like a champ.  I hope this solves your problem as well.

Good luck,

DWM
0 Kudos

roadrunner_xxl
Contributor I

Hello DWM,

Solved, thank you very very very much for your help!

It was the external crystal circuit, in our case the capacity was much too high and the crystal could not start to oscillate (100nF dame copy and past bug in our schematic). But it is still not clear to us why the chip does not start with the internal oscillator! Does pin CLKMODE pull-down to GND mean that only the external crystal will be used as source? In MC56F8300 Peripheral User Manual it isn’t really clear described, our understanding is that switching to external clock source has to be performed explicitly by user application! Maybe someone from Freescale can bring some light into this!

However many thank again!

roadrunner-xxl

0 Kudos

DWM
Contributor I

roadrunner-xxl,

That's great!  I'm glad I could help.  I lost about four weeks on a previous project tracing that one down.  It was extremely hard to locate the root cause.  We thought we had problems with the JTAG circuitry and it was nothing to do with it.  Anyway I'm glad to hear you're working now.

Good luck,

DWM
0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Problem is logged in Freescale CRM under the number 1-339038631.
Please refer ot the SR for details.
Pascal - CodeWarrior Support

Message Edited by Alban on 2007-01-24 12:18 PM

0 Kudos

cocoi
Contributor I
HI try to help,

Can you help me where I can find the path you are mentioning? Where can I read the Freescale CRM under number 1-339038631?

I am having some problems with my USB TAP and 56800E Flash Programmer. I cannot program my 568013 device. My CW is 8.0.

Any help regarding the matter? Thanks.
0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Hi,

Sorry for the delay.
You can not see the 1-339038631.
The problem was logged in our Freescale Siebel system.
The SR 1-339038631 can be accessed only by the customer who is reporting the problem.
Can I suggest you to log your problem via our web interface:
and click on

Submit a service request

Pascal

0 Kudos

Aili
Contributor II
Hi,

I also have a similar problem that I can not figure out. I have the connection problem of Codewarrior 7.3 with USB TAP. The target board is 56F8013Demo. It shows the error message : "CCSProtocolPlugin: CCS: Core not responding".  I have tested the board using parallel JTAG, and it works. During idling, the TX/RX led is blinking with green, and while connecting using USB TAP,  the led will change color, and the run/pause led will also on with red for a while.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Aili 
0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Hi,

See below some tips explaining how to handle a USBTap connection issue.
Hope this will help you.
If you can not fix the problem, can I suggest you to log this issue to our CRM system.
For Technical Support Issues please use Freescale on line support web page.
- Go to following URL:
http://www.freescale.com/TechSupport
- Click on Submit a Service Request. You will come to a login page.
- You can submit your request through the web from there.

You meet some problem to establish the connection to the board via the USBTap.

The question is:

- is there an interface problem ?

- is there a connection problem ?

If you get the same problem with an example delivered on the installation, the problem should be:

- with the USBTap,

- or with the PC configuration,

- or with the board,

- or with the project config.

Check the USBTap.

When you plug it to the PC, the USBTap must be detected.

If this is not the case may be the interface is damaged.

When the interface is connected to the board and to the PC, the 2 light should be on. Is it the case ?

Check the board.

Check that the Jtag connection is selected. This is done by a jumper. This jumper define if the Jtag or the // connector is used. Is it working using a sample // cable as interface ? Do you have another board ?

Check the PC.

Can you install the tool on another PC ?

Check the project.

After to start the debug session, the ccs tool is automatically launched too.

Be sure that the right settings are selected in the target settings panels.

Open it and go to Debugger | Remote Debugging and select 56800 Local USBTAP connection.

Interface Problem:

==================================================================================================================================

CodeWarrior USBTAP Product Notification

An early revision of the CodeWarrior USBTAP has been sometime shown to be sensitive to Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) from human touch. Users should take care to ground themselves when handling the USBTAP unit.

This notification applies to following parts numbers and revisions:

CWH-UTP-STC-HX (900-20681)

CWH-UTP_PPPCD-HX (900-75094)

CWH-UTP-PPCC-HX (900-20659)

CWH-UTP-ONCE-HX (900-20681)

CWH-UTP-CF-HX (900-20682)

How to tell if your USBTAP is susceptible to ESD?

Look at bottom on UTAP case. The sticker on the bottom of the case will show 900-xxxxx. Check to see if this matches one of the numbers above.

How to tell if your USBTAP is affected:

If you suspect your USBTAP is no longer working due to ESD, try the following:

A. Setup was working fine and then stopped working.

Check to see if Windows can recognize your USBTAP:

- Plug your USBTAP into a USB Port of a computer running Windows XP

- Wait 30 seconds

- Does "Windows found new hardware dialog appear"? If yes, then your USBTAP has not been harmed by ESD

- Open windows "Device manager"

- Expand "System devices" category

- Does "CodeWarrior USBTAP" appear on the list? If yes, then your USBTAP has not been harmed by ESD

B. Having trouble during initial setup.

Update and reinstall the USBTAP driver

- Ensure you have the latest CodeWarrior release. Updated drivers may be included

- Drivers are found in the "CodeWarrior" program file directory under the ccs/drivers directory

- Reinstall with the directions are included in this directory

- Repeat step A.

If both A or B fail and the USBTAP is one of the 900-xxxxx series tap, you probably have experienced an ESD related failure and the unit needs to be replaced.

Returning you Unit:

If your unit has failed, please follow the RMA instructions at the following link:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/homepage.jsp?nodeId=0109840078695970592869281874510

===================================================================================================

If this will not fix the problem, can you please provide us the following info:

we need to know the CodeWarrior version you're using.

To do that you must:

* CW:

Start the IDE and click on Help | About Metrowerks CodeWarrior.

Click on Installed Products

Provide us all info displayed.

Or you can save them in a txt file.

A new driver patch can be downloaded from our web site:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?nodeId=012726006178821410

Pascal
0 Kudos

Aili
Contributor II
I fixed the problem by installing the Patch file that downloaded from freescale web.
0 Kudos