Iain Galloway

Qt

Discussion created by Iain Galloway on May 21, 2010
Latest reply on May 28, 2010 by Bill Buck
(My) Top Ten List why you should be interested in learning more about Qt

10 - Qt is one of the "Hot Three" software technologies today gaining traction globally with Widgets and "convergence" and other buzzwords. The choices seem to be: Google Android(Java), Apple Apps, Nokia+Intel=Moblin+Maemo=MeeGo(Qt). Unlike the others Qt works with Android, (maybe Apple?) and many others. At the same time Qt is also appropriate even for simple things.

9 - You can also write a PC application using Qt that has nothing to do with embedded and still re-use the same code or parts thereof on your embedded device and vice-versa.

8 - You can prototype on a PC or MAC before any hardware is even ready, and use a "virtual mock up" of your product too.

7 - Qt makes it easy to demo to marketing what your embedded product might look like without writing any code.

6 - When you change your hardware your Qt program can stay the same. (i.e upgrade from i.MX233 to i.Mx35 to i.MX51)

5 - Runs on multiple Operating Systems: Windows, MAC, Linux, QNX, ARM, MIPS, X86.......and sometimes even without an OS (Genesi Aura)

4 - Qt fits the most simple interface (plain 2D sliders and button) to the most graphically complex (shiny, flipping, 3D spinning/bouncing buttons and images and video) and yet Qt is fast - (i.e can use pre-rendered fonts on resource constrained devices, or take advantage of hardware acceleration resources like OpenVG and OpenGL)

3 - Strong Support: Rich History. You can find developers. Vibrant community worldwide. There is lots of support options available (ICS, Nokia - Formerly Trolltech). There is strong support for Linux on embedded devices (ICS). You will get your hardware running quickly.

2 - Qt can integrate web resources into your product - (i.e Show maps on your device, signal dispatch to send new supplies - Where is the delivery truck, When is the service guy coming.)

1 - Qt is both Free (LGPL License) and Commercial - Your choice!

Outcomes