Processor Expert 56f8xx - Where do I get a proper guide?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processor Expert 56f8xx - Where do I get a proper guide?

AgentK
Contributor III
I can't find a guide to PE other than a very basic one. If for example, under OS_TIMER, I wanted to know what PE means by "Bean uses entire timer", where would I find that info? The Unis helpfile only says this on the topic:

"Bean uses entire timer - The bean can use every subsystem of the timer, more actions may be done by HW instead of SW but no other bean can share the timer."

So is that the best that I'm going to get?

e.g. this explanation doesn't say what the downside is to letting two beans share the timer..Does the timer interval have to be set up to have a common submultiple of both beans' periods? Does that mean lots of interrupt traffic, mostly doing nothing?

Perhaps I'm supposed to trust that my processor has so much spare capacity that it can handle such distractions?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

ProcessorExpert
Senior Contributor III
Dear Customer,

The expert view mode property "Bean uses entire timer" doesn't directly influence the code, it allows to disable sharing of resources of the same timer channel.
If the property is set to yes, it's not possible to share the timer channel by several beans. In the case that the timer channel is not shared, the property has no influence.

On the 56800/E platform the channels can be used independently so it's only the question of sharing the timer channel between for example Capture and TimerInt beans. In this case, there are limitations on period and other settings so both beans can share the same channel. It doesn't influence the amount of interrupt traffic.

We will improve the help of the property to make it clearer.
If you would like to see this kind of implementation information, you can also try to look to Processor Expert help, chapter Application Design / Implementation.

best regards
Petr Hradsky
Processor Expert Support Team
UNIS
0 Kudos