COldFire Tutorials / Development Projects?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COldFire Tutorials / Development Projects?

krishnan
Contributor I
Dear Members

Hi. Am just a day old as far as ColdFire experience is concerned. Have some very basic questions. hope someone can find some time to answer them.

1. How can i start off with COldfire.. can u please point me to some useful links or online tutorials??

2. I'm also looking for some projects where uClinux has been succsfully ported to MCF527X and 528x ??

Thank u folks.

Krish
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

timmer
Contributor I
Krish,

I've found it helpful to contact my local Freescale TSE or FAE. They are constantly being trained by the factory and are given training material on the internal architecture of the Coldfire. This coupled with the application note found on the web site make a fairly

As a side note, you may find Linux a bit of a challenge due to flash memory size of the MCF5282. There is generally not a lot of room left for your end application code after implementing the OS.

Tim
NetBurner Technical Sales
0 Kudos

krishnan
Contributor I
hi Tim

Thanks for that.. I also came across something pretty interesting.. Posted by one of the members in this forum about using Eclipse IDE along with Zylin-CDT. I'm going to try this myself now. Just thought will put in the link here for someone who comes up with a similar requirement in the future.

1. http://zylin.com/pipermail/zylin-discuss_zylin.com/2006-August/000294.html
2. http://www.zylin.com/embeddedcdt.html
3. http://zylin.com/pipermail/zylin-discuss_zylin.com/2006-September/000310.html

Will try the local FAE's for some more info. Kindly post back if u do come up with anything that might help freshers get started.

Thanks and regards

Krish
0 Kudos

timmer
Contributor I
Krish,

I was my pleasure. The FAE should be very helpful, I was one in a past life. Freescale has an entire training series geared toward the technical aspects (internal architecture) of the Coldfire.

As you go out looking for tool solutions keep in mind that Eclipse is a very powerful tool that, if poorly implemented, can be very hard to navigate. On the flip side, if it is implemented well, it is a very nice environment that offers room to grow.

NetBurner has put a lot of effort into creating a tool with an intuitive work flow and comprehensive training material. The intent is to get you up and operating as quickly as possible. Our belief is that your effort should be placed in product development not tool education.

The full NetBurner tool suite including hardware is only $99USD. It even comes with a 30 day money back guarantee. Simply return the kit, no questions asked.

Take a look at the link below.

http://www.netburner.com/embedded_eclipse.html

Tim
www.netburner.com
0 Kudos

timmer
Contributor I
"It" was my pleasure..... fingers running too fast.
0 Kudos

krishnan
Contributor I
Hello Tim

I went through the entire video. This tool sure will do a lot of good to the ColdFire Community... My only problem now is that, its release is set for end of NOV, rite??

I do not have that much of time to get going with my Project. :smileysad:

Any way, updates on the thread will sure keep the ColdFire Community on their toes...

Wish you gud luck.

krish
0 Kudos

timmer
Contributor I
krish,

The published date for the ultra low cost $99USD kit is the end of November, but you can get a standard development kit today for only $299USD. The only difference is the size and feature set of the development board. An important point to note is that the $99USD kit only supports the MCF5270. Other platforms (MCF5272/5282/5234 and the 5270 too...) are supported with our standard development kit. At $299USD, you'll be hard pressed to find a better deal anywhere. It includes everything you need to develop and deploy your Coldfire based product.

http://www.netburner.com/products/development_kits.html

The Eclipse software has been tested in depth and is ready for public release. The Eclipse IDE will begin shipping with all kits at the end of the month. It is available for download from our support site today. A large number of customers are now using it with no issues.

As far as your timing goes, we supply full example applications you can use as a starting point for your project. This is fully functional application code you can build on to shorten the required time to get a project up and operating. NetBurners desire is to help you get your design finished as quickly as possible.

Take Care,

Tim
www.netburner.com
0 Kudos

krishnan
Contributor I
Hello Tim

Just a small Clarification from your previous mail.

So, if i purchase a MCF5282 Development Kit now, it will not come with the Eclipse IDE and GNU toolchain????

So, What i understand is, you will then give the customer some kind of a login or reference number with which i can log into your website and download the tools , without having to wait for November end ???

Is that right??? kindly clarify asap

regards

Krishnan
0 Kudos

timmer
Contributor I

Krishnan,

When you purchase any development kit you receive a serial number with the kit. That serial number is used to register for support and tool upgrades. You can then log on to our server and download the latest tools. Our original tool solution based on DevC++ is currently shipped with every kit. At the end of the month we will begin shipping Eclipse with kits. Both IDEs work well, Eclipse is just our latest IDE. Both use gnu and gdb.

Does this make sense?

Tim
www.netburner.com

0 Kudos