Paul McConkey

Free (open-source) IDE, toolchain and visual debugger for MCF5282

Discussion created by Paul McConkey on Oct 23, 2006
Latest reply on Feb 2, 2007 by Paul McConkey
Having spent several weeks trying to get a working development system for mcf5282 based products (5282Lite and the EMAC SoM5282 module) I have finally got a system that mostly exceeds my expectations.

As I found it difficult to find out how to go about setting up a toolchain I thought that I would share my experiences.

I tried several toolchains, commercial and non-commercial before settling on the Eclipse IDE, CodeSourcery GNU toolchain and Zylin Eclipse CDT extensions, all combined with SubVersion for source control. As long as you have a workstation with a decent amount of memory (1GB+) and fast enough (2GHz+) the Eclipse IDE is very good. The Zylin extensions mean that I can debug using a P&E cable (parallel and USB) and that the debugging is entirely visual.

To save repeating myself, this link is to my posting on the Zylin mailing list that explains how to set up the system: http://zylin.com/pipermail/zylin-discuss_zylin.com/2006-August/000294.html

I'm happy to answer questions on this, but please note - I know next to nothing about Linux. You will be able to set this up on a Linux system but my system is Win XP hosted with no CygWin or MinGW in sight.

It would be interesting to see if this can be made to work with the open source TBCLF BDM cable mentioned in the sticky at the top of this forum.

When I said mostly exceeds my expectations, the problems are: occasionally GDB hangs, but I can blame my poor code for some of that and it is not really a big issue. Eclipse is a bit of a memory and CPU hog, but for all that you can tell it has a professional pedigree and it will run on most platforms. I wish I could use managed make, instead of writing makefiles by hand - somehow this seems like a task perfectly suited to a computer!

Outcomes