Getting build errors and warnings externally

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting build errors and warnings externally

jonathang
Contributor II
I'm trying to automate a project build from outside CodeWarrior. I can use "cmdide /b" from the command line to do the build, and it works fine but if there are errors or warnings I don't see them. Errors cause the build to fail and an exit code of 8, but in this case I want the external script to be able to access the errors.

Are build errors/warnings stored somewhere predictable? Is there a way to make them show up on stdout for cmdide? I'm puzzled.

I have a suspicion that I may be missing something obvious, but I've perused the help files and this forum without finding the answer.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

morrisrd
Contributor I
One way to use the CodeWarrior IDE to automate builds and retrieve the resultant build status messages, warnings, errors, etc. in a machine readable format is to use the COM/OLE interface.  This is documented in the "CodeWarrior Development Studio IDE 5.6 Windows Automation Guide."
(http://www.freescale.com/files/soft_dev_tools/doc/user_guide/IDE_5.6_Automation_Guide.pdf)

Using the COM/OLE interface, you can write a script to control the CW IDE and retrieve build results in perl, Visual Basic, Ruby, Python, etc.  The Automation Guide mentioned above has a number of examples that are pretty much plug and play, if you are a perl programmer.  If not, I found them easily translated into ruby.

I haven't found a Freescale document of the COM/OLE API.
If anyone knows of one, please let me know.  I used the Microsoft OLE/COM Object Viewer.
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5233b70d-d9b2-4cb5-aeb6-45664be858b6)
I found it to be a little difficult to use due to the fact that items are not alphabetized, but was able to locate the API information I needed with it.  Follow the instructions in the Automation Guide.

Hope this information helps.

0 Kudos