cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

J1939 / NMEA2000 Protocols

colinh
Contributor I
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has experience in implementing either of the above on an S12. We are looking at having to either buy a 3rd party stack or roll our own. Does anyone have any experience/recommendations re. 3rd party stacks, or the degree of difficulty to roll your own? I have done some ISO based CAN protocol work before so I'm not a complete newbie to the subject of CAN messaging.

Thanks
Colin
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hi Colin,

If the SAE J1939 is the same as ISO 16845 but for High Speed, S12 supports it. S12 are tested for CAN Conformance by a third party.

The S12X easily supports the Full Mailbox system with the help of the XGATE.

You can either develop your own drivers or see Vector who provide a lot of them for Automotive.

Cheers,
Alban.
0 Kudos

colinh
Contributor I
Hi Alban

Thanks for the feedback. This particular client is doing marine electronics (hence the interest in NMEA2000). If it was one of my automotive clients I would look at Vector. However in this case I dont want to have to sell my children into slavery to pay for the Vector tools. We are currently looking at Noregon who do a J1939 stack, or alternatively rolling our own.

Cheers
Colin
0 Kudos

jrsimma
Contributor I

Vector last week quoted somewhere around $120K to $180K for CAN software to a TI customer in Germany.  The industry can't stand their prices.  And because of that, TI recommended Simma Software instead.  In addition, we've beat out Vector for a Big 3 automotive design.  I believe we are the only business to ever do that.

Here is our J1939 Software Protocol Stack, it is about 500% to 700% faster than Noregon's stack.  We have almost 100 customers using our CAN software for embedded systems.

(Advertising link removed by administrator.)

0 Kudos