cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generate Full Disassembly Listing in CW3.1 for HCS12

Jump to solution
tocard
Contributor I
I am using CodeWarrior for HC(S)12 v.3.1 for Windows. I am trying to generate a full disassembly listing of my entire project that includes symbols.

I have opened the Decoder (decoder.exe) utility separately from the IDE and have been able to disassemble the .s19 file that is created when I compile. That disassembly does seem to be for the whole project; however, it doesn't have any debug information (i.e. the symbol names, etc.) in it. Is there a way to have the decoder generate this type of file with the extra debug information?

(Inside the IDE, I can click on any 1 .c file and right-click and pick "Disassemble". This produces a nice disassembly of that file, with symbols, but I'd like it for the whole project to aid in off-line debugging.)

Finally, I noticed that the Decoder can use .elf, .abs, and .lib files for input. Would any of these do what I want? If so, how do I have the IDE create these files when I compile?

Thanks in advance!
-- Greg
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
CompilerGuru
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Both the *.s19 and the *.phy are usually SRecord files with no debug information. They usually differ in the addresses used in them.

As CW does not support to produce those files without an abs/elf file, I'm pretty sure you have one :smileyhappy:. However the extension can be choosen, so maybe someone did pick something else in your project. The directory for the abs/elf file can be configured in the Target Settings the "Output Directory" field. The filename is configured in the "Linker for HC12" preference page, "Application Filename" field.

In standard projects the abs/elf file is placed in a bin subfolder and has a *.abs extension.

Daniel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
tocard
Contributor I
Thank you CompilerGuru.

I had originally started with the "Generate a Full listing files" post in my search before I posted. However, that thread suggests using the .abs file, which you also mentioned. I do not have a file with that extension and I can't see a way to generate it, either.

When I compile, CW creates a .s19 and a .phy file. Are either of these equivalent? If not, how do I compile my project to create a .abs file as well?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
CompilerGuru
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Both the *.s19 and the *.phy are usually SRecord files with no debug information. They usually differ in the addresses used in them.

As CW does not support to produce those files without an abs/elf file, I'm pretty sure you have one :smileyhappy:. However the extension can be choosen, so maybe someone did pick something else in your project. The directory for the abs/elf file can be configured in the Target Settings the "Output Directory" field. The filename is configured in the "Linker for HC12" preference page, "Application Filename" field.

In standard projects the abs/elf file is placed in a bin subfolder and has a *.abs extension.

Daniel
0 Kudos
tocard
Contributor I
Yes, that was it. I looked in the Project Options and found that the "Application Name" did not have an extension at all. When I decoded that extensionless file, everything worked as you said. The decoder even noted that is was an ELF/DWARF encoded file.

(My guess is that it was named without the .abs so that the .phy and .s19 files would have the name "project_name.s19" instead of "project_name.abs.s19".)

Thanks again!
0 Kudos
CompilerGuru
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Check the thread "Generate a Full listing files" which was about exactly the same topic.

It was for HC08 V5.1, but the same aplies to HC12 V3.1.
Daniel

PS: decode the abs.
0 Kudos