cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC GUI FOR S12 Programming via BDM

colinh
Contributor I
Hi

Im looking for a low cost PC application capable of programming S12s via the BDM without having to do a full install of the Codewarrior toolchain, so that I can supply our board loader with a P+E BDM Multilink cable and a S record.

Is there anything around?

Thanks
Colin
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

colinh
Contributor I
Hi All

Thanks for all the feedback. We have been using P+E BDM USB cables, whereas I see most of the responses refer to a Wytec serial BDM cable. I'm not sure if there is a way to open a "dialog" with the P+E USB cable as P+E dont give out too much information in this regard, but when I get a chance I might give it a try. In the meantime it is good to see that there is an alternative source for BDM interfaces.

Cheers
Colin
0 Kudos

Lundin
Senior Contributor IV
If you are using P&E, you will have to use their software as well. They have a GUI program called PROG12Z that does what you are looking for.

http://www.pemicro.com/

For production programming, I'd recommend using their "Cyclone Pro" instead. You can download the s-record to it and then use it as stand-alone equipment without the need of a PC. Programming the chip is way faster through it. Cyclone Pro is compatible with the Multilink but you need Codewarrior 3.1 or later if you want to use it for debugging as well.
0 Kudos

colinh
Contributor I
Hi

Thanks for the comments. At present "production" is only a couple of units a month - ie its still in the prototype / field trial stage. We develop the firmware, using Codewarrior, and supply the compiled firmware to our client for commissioning units. When the client goes into full scale production this will be outsourced to a board assembly company and our client will have no need for a full blown production programmer.

It seems a pity to be able to get such a fully featured compiler for $0 and then have to spend $160 to get a simple way of downloading the result to a target.

By the way - if there are alternatives to P+E (including the BDM interface hardware itself) for what I was hoping to achieve I'd be pleased to here about them.
0 Kudos

kwik
Contributor I
Here is what I do ;

- I connect my BDM from Wytec to the Serial Port of my PC.

The BDM has a small 6-wire flatcable to a small 6 pin plug.
The target board has a 6 pin BDM connection.

- I connect the BDM flatcable to target-board BDM connection.

- I start MyConsole.exe and talk to the BDM
- I clear the flash using S>fbulk
- I set the target in receive mode by entering S>fload
-I hit the Send button in MyConsole and a dialog pops
up ...I select my s29 S-Record file ...and the file is send
-I observe the ******* signs as the flash is programmed
-The target board has a small switch were I can selecct between
monitor and Run mode
-I set it in run mode and press reset ...the target is running.

Isnt this what you want to do?
0 Kudos

mke_et
Contributor IV

kwik wrote:
Here is what I do ;

- I connect my BDM from Wytec to the Serial Port of my PC.

The BDM has a small 6-wire flatcable to a small 6 pin plug.
The target board has a 6 pin BDM connection.

- I connect the BDM flatcable to target-board BDM connection.

- I start MyConsole.exe and talk to the BDM
- I clear the flash using S>fbulk
- I set the target in receive mode by entering S>fload
-I hit the Send button in MyConsole and a dialog pops
up ...I select my s29 S-Record file ...and the file is send
-I observe the ******* signs as the flash is programmed
-The target board has a small switch were I can selecct between
monitor and Run mode
-I set it in run mode and press reset ...the target is running.

Isnt this what you want to do?

Hmm, I know that's what "I" wanted to do!! But I don't have a serial BDM. I have two, one is the LPT interface (which requires a 'patch' to XP to make it work reliably, but not really an issue) and the USB version.

It seems there's a need for a USB interface that accepts 'commands'.

I wonder, if the USB was 'opened' as a file, can I talk to it just the com port? If so, then the same command sequence you send to the serial-BDM should be convertable to the USB-BDM...

Mike
0 Kudos

mke_et
Contributor IV
I just checked out the Wytec...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks a lot like the original 9S12Badge with the BDM-Out tied to the target BDM-In then using the serial debugger in the Badge to force stuff over into the target.

I have a couple of badges laying around. And when I did my own design, I left a layout on the PCB for an unimplemented BDM-Out connection...

I wonder, I could just put the debugger on the thing and use it as a programmer. But slow... Unless I could kick it up way past 9600bps.

Mike
0 Kudos

kwik
Contributor I
It sounds like exactly the same thing I tried with my DRAGON12 board from Wytec.It has a BDM 6-pin plug too.

- I connected the DRAGON12 to my PC Com-port.

- Then connected the small target board to the DRAGON12 via BDM plugs/cable.

-Then Reset DRAGON12 after setting it in "BDM-mode"
-Them Reset small target board

And voila ,the small cards monitor pops up in my MyConsole.exe.

Then do fbulk and fload
Then click send button

Just remember to convert s19 file to s29 file using SRecCvt.exe

So the only reason I bought the BDM was in order to free the DRAGON12 for other purposes. No reason tieing it up to such purposes ,when its so useful otherwise.

Kenneth
0 Kudos

kwik
Contributor I
Hello there,

I have a small application you may use? It sort of replaces hyperterminal and Kermit and the like ; Its a Terminal Emulator with a Send button.

You can talk to your Target board via serial line. And send s-record file by pushing a button. Is this what you are looking for ?

Its attached here now.
0 Kudos

colinh
Contributor I
Hi

Thanks for the follow up but the fact that it talks over the serial port makes me think we are talking about two different things. To get an new application in over the serial port implies that there is a loader already in the embedded end capable of accepting the S-record. What we want to do is get a new application into a blank part using the BDM, without the overhead of a full Codewarrior install. Our customer is only making a prototype quantities at present so we were looking at a simple low cost way of helping them commission new units.

Thanks again for your efforts.
0 Kudos