cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TBLCF open source debugging cable

DanielM
Contributor III
Hello everybody,

for the benefit of the ColdFire users community I am releasing an open-source debugging cable. The cable works with CodeWarrior version 6.3. You can download evaluation version of CodeWarrior 6.3 here:

https://www.freescale.com/lgfiles/updates/CWCF/CW_ColdFire_6.3_Update.exe

Cost of components for the cable is under $10.

Feedback on functionality and/or any problems is most welcome.

I will be updating this post with new releases in case of bug fixes or other improvements.

I have added a zip file with the PCB design in EPS and BMP formats.

Daniel

Message Edited by DanielM on 2006-10-13 11:03 AM

tblcf_v10.zip

eps_and_bmp_v2B.zip

Message Edited by t.dowe on 2009-09-02 04:58 PM
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
110 Replies

Alex_M
Contributor I

Not sure if it's important but i'm using all of the pins to connect to the digibutler with an IDE cable.

0 Kudos

angelo_d
Senior Contributor I

Dear all,

i am trying to debug a test program in a MCF5307 through gdb, using tblcf on usb port, but i am getting a "wrong length" warning message:

angelo@station7:~/amcore/loader$ m68k-elf-gdb
GNU gdb 6.6
Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --target=m68k-elf".
(gdb) target remote | m68k-bdm-gdbserver pipe /dev/tblcf1
Remote debugging using | m68k-bdm-gdbserver pipe /dev/tblcf1
trying usb driver: /dev/tblcf1
m68k-bdm: detected MCF5307
m68k-bdm: architecture CF5307 connected to /dev/tblcf1
m68k-bdm: Coldfire debug module version is 1 (5307/5407)
Process /dev/tblcf1 created; pid = 0
warning: Remote reply is wrong length: ffbfffefffff7fffadbdffffffbffeffefbfffffbff9ffffefff77fffffffffffffffffbff7ffffffef9f3fff7fafff7ffffffffffebeff7ffff7ffffffffff40000270ffffffffe0000000000000000ffdf60e0ffef60e4ffffff3e7bf9917e00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000008ffffffffaf00bf94
0xfffffffe in ?? ()
(gdb)

Other commads as "info registers" or "$pc= 0x.." seems to work, but loading the elf code and stepping into the code result in other error messages as BUS error.

Any help is really appreciated.

0 Kudos

ChrisJohns
Contributor I

The patch referenced on the BDM list should fix this problem. I will get the patch into the repo soon.

0 Kudos

Alex_M
Contributor I

Hello,

I have a small problem with the TBLCF/CW software.

I've installed CW6.3 on windows XP but it crashes whenever I try to setup a path for the dll, or any type of windows that searches through windows explorer (open project, save settings in flash programmer etc). I've tried this on two windows xp laptops and got the same result. Otherwise when I try to connect to my Digibutler it connects. I've copied the path for the dll from windows and wrote it manually instead of browsing for the file.

I've also tried to connect with both CW 6.3 and 7.2 in windows 7. Everytime I do that I get an error. On CW6.3 it sais that It's "unable to open USB device". In CW7.2 I get a similar error but this time it writes "ColdFire GDI Protocol Adapter : Can't connect"

I have installed the CW10.1 on the windows 7 OS but I'm not sure how it's supposed to be configured. I've had the manual for the older version provided with the CD. So if anyone used the TBLCF in their projects and can guide me with a step by step method of configuring it as an interface in Eclipse I'd be thankful.

I haven't tried the CW7.2 on the windows machines yet but I'll do that too soon. I was wondering if I'm missing anything from the configuration since I have never used CW before.

Thank you for any advice you might have.

0 Kudos

Alex_M
Contributor I

I've managed to overcome the previous connection issue by installing CW 7.2 on windows xp. Everythin worked and it connected but now I get a connection error that states "writeaddressreg error: writecontrol 7173 0x2000021 failed". I'm not sure what this means. I think I've erased the board and made the proper settings to reprogram it. Now I can't reconnect to the digibutler though. Any hints on this one?

0 Kudos

Malloc
Contributor I

Hi DanielM,

I read you post in the forum about TBLCF last week, and i am really impressed about the design.

I ordered the PCB and yesterday i mounted all the components.

I have worked as per the instructions in the manual and i sucessfull flashed the MC908JB16JDWE controller using tblcf_bt file.

I am working on MCF5282 controller, initially i tried to dump the code to the RAM using code warrior 6.4, and i am done with it sucessfully, i am able to debug step by step.

Now i tried to flash program using the flash programmer in codewarrior, when i am tring to erase flash i m getting an error saying Timed Out.

Please help me out, i am unable to figure it out.

Thanks

Malloc

0 Kudos

Evtek
Contributor I

HI,

I have been trying to get the TBLCF working with a MCF5272 processor, but with no luck. If I repeat a NOP command I can see that the TDO response from the processor is not synchronised correctly to the commands.

I see that the MCF5272 only contains Rev A of the debug module, but can anyone explain why the TBLCF isn't working correctly?

Michael

0 Kudos

timothybean
Contributor IV

I am new to Coldfire. I was wondering if your programmer will work with the M52259 series? Also, can I buy this from you? Will this allow me to program the chip once it is on my target board? Basically get it going from nothing?

Thanks

Tim

0 Kudos

Sascha_ST
Contributor I

Hello

is it possible to use the TBLCF for Programming/Debugging the MC9S08JM60 Family??

Or must i build the TBDML?

Best regards Sascha

0 Kudos

hwn
Contributor I

Hello,

TBLCF only works with some 32-Bit Coldfire with Core V2 an higher. I dont know what processorversions. I used it for the MCF5213.

TBDML only works with S12-Core.

You need "USBDM (Combined TBDML/OSBDM code) for JM60". This works also with Coldfire with Core V1 => FLEXIS.

Best regards

Werner

0 Kudos

Evtek
Contributor I

Werner,

Thanks for the response. I'll have a look at the code you mention. To give me a short term fix I found that I had to synchronise changes to the DSI and DSCLK lines with the processor clock. I accomplished this using a high speed D-type flp flop clocked by the PSTCLK line. This works ok, but obviously meant a change to the PCB.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos

bauerp
Contributor I

Hi Michael,

just like you I have been trying to get the TBLCF working with a MCF5272 processor running at 66 MHz. I faced the same issue that the TDO response from the processor is not synchronised correctly to the commands.

You mentioned a hardware fix using high speed D-type flip flops to synchronize the changes of the DSI and DSCLK signals with the processor clock.

Which type of flip flops did you use?

Can you share the schematic of you synchronization circuit?

Is it possible to fix this issue in software?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos

Evtek
Contributor I

Paul,

For a good description of the problem, have look at the information in the following link,

http://www.cvs.cx/Documents/CFPOD.pdf

It seems that Coldifre processors containing Revision A of the enhanced hardware debug module, require the BDM signals to be synchronised with the PSTCLK. In the above link, the author uses a XYLINX CPLD to implement D-Type flip flops which are clocked by the CPU Clock (PSTCLK). The flip flops ensure that changes to DSI and DSCLK (in particular) are synchronised to clock edges on the processor clock. 

I have implemented a similar design to this and it works ok, however, if you want to re-work the TBLCF so that it works  with processors such as the MCF5272, it is easier to use a single 74HC175 chip, rather than the CPLD. The problem is getting one that supports a fast enough clock speed. I found that the 74HC175N Chip from NXP (Philips) (RS Components 169-7481) works ok, but you do need a little series resistor between the output of the flip flop and the BDM connector (as per the design in the above attachment). For my purposes I only needed to buffer the DSI and DSCLK lines which make implementing a modification a bit easier. 

I don't think you could perform the same synchronisation in software, unless you had a much faster processor than is used in the TBLCF and to be honest, it is easier implementing the hardware modification.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need more information.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos

Make_Pic
Contributor I

Hello All,

Is it possible to modify the firmware TBLCF for debug the processor MC68332 (CPU32)?

The best regards, Anatoly Babitsyn

0 Kudos

ChrisJohns
Contributor I

Maybe. Sorry I cannot be more specific. There should be enough I/O but this is just an assumption. Please check.

A problem with the CPU32 debug hardware is the way the logic works. The parallel port BDM pods have a 5 chip solution to interface to the CPU32 BDM interface. I think you may need something like this. If you can solve this problem the remainder of the work would be software.

0 Kudos

Adamzhao
Contributor I

Hi

When I try to erase the internal flash of MCF52236 with TBLCF under codewarrior 7.1, there is "connect fail " message to me. the board and the BDM port works fine under PE tools. 

Did any one encounter this problem? and how to fix this problem ?

thanks 

Adam

Message Edited by Adamzhao on 2009-06-24 04:28 AM
Message Edited by Adamzhao on 2009-06-24 04:51 AM
0 Kudos

bluehacker
Contributor III

It seems like TBLCF don't work correctly on mcf5221x,mcf5225x processors.

I use tblcf for my mcf52211 board, first I find it can't connect to my board, the reason is I named my project folder using chinese. after I change the forder name from chinese to english, tblcf connect with my board correctly, it can erase mcf52211'internal flash, and also can download CONSOLE INTERNAL RAM ans INTERNAL RAM Target image into mcf52211.

BUT  TBLCF never program the flash successfully, and also never debug correctly. when I choose INTERNAL RAM or CONSOLE INTERNAL RAM target, after I click start debug button, nothing happen, I find the processor never execute instructons, it seems like to be halted, the PC register always point to the first instruction in  _startup() function ,and never increment or change.

I don't know what is the matter . My board work fine under PE USB multilink BDM

0 Kudos

VijayHiremath
Contributor I

Dear All,

I would appreciate if you could please provide me the URL to purchase the OpenSourceBDM hardware for MCF51JM128 (JMBadge board available at http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=JMBADGE&nodeId=0127262E703BC3).

Regards

Vijay

Message Edited by Vijay Hiremath on 2009-04-22 06:50 AM
0 Kudos

ChrisJohns
Contributor I

I do not know of one but I would be interested in getting one integrated into the BDM project on Sourceforge.

Regards

Chris

0 Kudos

bluehacker
Contributor III

hi, chris and everybody else.

I am now using TBLCF for my MCF52211 board. But there are something wrong. hope some suggestions and instructions.

I bought one TBLCF from a chinese company. when I flashing my code into mcf52211, I get can't connect error. Occasionally,the bdm can connect to my board, and erase successfully. But most time, It can't connect.

when I click "debug" or press F5 in codewarrior to start debug, I always get:"could not open memory configuration file" error message. 

I wish everyone can give me some instructions. thanks!

by the way.  what is the interface of 26pin BDM on  Board? I refer to freescale's MCF52210DEMO schematic, and copy its bdm interface. But I find TBLCF's interface seems not exactly same with MCF52210DEMO's. for example the PSTCLK/TCLK is connected to PIN6 in TBLCF, but it connect to PIN24 in MCF52210DEMO schematic(when using BDM mode, not JTAG mode).

thanks again! 

0 Kudos