Salvatore Cosentino

Truth on HC908QC16 and Freescale policy

Discussion created by Salvatore Cosentino on Aug 3, 2006
Latest reply on Aug 6, 2006 by Mark Hotchkiss
Starting from a recent enquiry about HC908QC16 which opens again a window on this "ghost", I would know someting more on this matter and on the Freescale policy for the 8-bit future developments.

May someone explain me the strange story of the HC908QC16 which was announced 6 months ago, for which it is easily available an Evaluation Board, but was never added to the official Freescale documentation nor is still available to the public?

It was also deleted from the latest 8-bit Product Summary of 2006-3Q.

While it really seems to me it would cover a void niche beetween the smart 16-pin  908QB8 and the bigger 908AP, perhaps Freescale eventually wisely decided not to put another HC908 on the market pushing accelerator instead on the much more modern and powerful 9S08 architecture. The recently lowered price of 9S08AW16 (1.95$/1kpcs for the 44 pin) may be a proof of this.

I was deeply impressed by the 908QC16 when FreescaIe firstly announced it in the 2006-1Q 8-bit Product Summary and I was really upset by the unavailability of the part at the time. Now I really hope in a future lower pin count of the 9S08AW 5-V tolerant family to cover that void niche instead of increasing the "old" and already too broad 908 family, facilitating the migration to the newer and smarter 9S08 & BDM architecture. In the meantime I prefer by far to pay a little more for the far more powerful, bigger, smarter, faster 9S08AW16 than a slightly better JL16 (1.61$ for the cheaper 28 pin version) at the same price. Who wants to come back to the involved programming interface of the older HC908 series after having tested the smarter and simpler BDM interface?

What the truth? What do the other Freescale 8-bit aficionados think of this matter?

Outcomes