Using flash routines out of ROM (MC68HC908QC16)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using flash routines out of ROM (MC68HC908QC16)

mahamba
Contributor I
Does anyone know how to use the flash erase/program routines for the MC68HC908QC16 which does not have the flash burn in routines in ROM. So far I know that the routines cannot be in flash as it is locked during program/erase operations. Do they have to be copied in RAM?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

mahamba
Contributor I
Thank you Rocky. So they are in the auxiliary ROM.
0 Kudos

RockyRoad
Contributor III

mahamba -

The flash programming routines are in ROM on the QC16. They are the same as for the QB16 as documented in AN2635.

http://www.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/app_note/AN2635.pdf

- Rocky

0 Kudos

robidp82
Contributor I
Hello RockyRoad,

the AN linked by you does not specify the address of the internal routines for the QC16.
In addition, the QB16 microcontroller does not exists. Are you sure that the routines are at the same address of the QB family?

robidp82
0 Kudos

Truk
Contributor I
are this routines also usable for the MCS08 (MCS08AW32) ?
regards
Truk

0 Kudos

irob
Contributor V

Truk wrote:
are this routines also usable for the MCS08 (MCS08AW32) ?

Truck, I don't think so, but I'm not positive. I know that for my part, MC9S08QG4, those routines are not in the ROM. In fact, as far as I understand, the flash system works completely differently on the S family with the BDM command interface. No need for the old ROM routines.

Message Edited by irob on 2006-08-08 09:57 AM

0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II

Yes Irob I confirm,

S08 does not need any Flash programming routine as the user has a simple state machine with commands to send.

Cheers,
Alban.

0 Kudos

Truk
Contributor I

I think I have expressed myself bad:

I would like to use a part of Flash as EEPROM to store approx. 150 Bytes SETUP-Data which are read bevor via the SPI Interface in RAM.

Is that possible

regards

Truk

0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
No problem at all  to store data in Flash !

The only thing when erasing Flash is you erase a PAGE and need to write by ROWS. If the area is not secured, you can use the state machine included in the S08 Flash block without any trouble !

Cheers,
Alban.
0 Kudos

Truk
Contributor I
thank you for help Alban,
but I need a little more hints how to do this.
Can I do this as descibe in the data sheet on page 51 - 53 (MCS08AW60) ? ...that means the user programm in the rest of the flash is working and can run all the time (not as describe in a AN where I have to run the programming routines in RAM because flash is not working in this time).
Are there allready assembler routines available?
Do all S08 have the same state machine ? (I have an other project with a smaller and therefore cheaper uP which I have not selected at the moment)
thanks for any help, because this is the first project with CW and HC08/S08 there is really a lot new for me..
Truk

0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV

Hi Truk,

All S08 are pretty much the same in this regard.

This subject has been covered many times in this forum, I would suggest you search for it as you will have more patience than I. There have been numerous code examples given.

It is really quite simple, the hardest part for most people attempting this is to correctly move code to RAM and execute it from there.

Regards David

0 Kudos