AnsweredAssumed Answered

Updating OSBDM Firmware

Question asked by DanielWillenson on Jun 1, 2012
Latest reply on Jan 18, 2016 by Preet Mehta

Hi,

I'm trying to get a K70F120M working, and I can't get the board to come up in bootloader mode so that I can update the OSBDM firmware. I've followed the directions in the K70F120 Quick Start Demo guide, so I installed the battery, jumped J17 pins 2 and 3, and removed J19 on the K70 board. I also moved J2 to pins 2-3, jumped J3 pins 2-3, and jumped J12 pins 9-10 on the TWR-SER board. When I plug in the USB cable in this state, the POWER, STATUS, and TPWR LEDs light on the K70 board, the 5V and 3V3 LEDs light on the elevators and the SER board, and the accelerometer demo seems to be running properly on the touch button LEDs. Also, the proper devices show up in Device Manager (LibUSB-Win32 Devices/Open Source BDM - Debug Port; Jungo/PEMicro USB Serial Port; etc.).

When I start the P&E Micro Firmware Updater, it properly detects the board, and when I click Update Firmware it displays the message, "The embedded firmware needs to be in bootloader mode to update. Please unplug the USB cable, insert a jumper on the 2-pin bootloader header (connecting JM60 IRQ to ground), and reconnect the USB cable."

I believe that J10 is the correct jumper to connect JM60 IRQ to ground, as indicated in the Quick Start Demo guide and the TWR-K70F120M schematic diagram. However, when I follow these directions, jumping J10, none of the LEDs on any of the boards light when I plug in the USB cable, nothing appears in the Device Manager on my computer, and the message about bootloader mode reappears immediately if I press the OK button.

The computer I'm using is a Windows 7 32-bit virtual machine, running under VMWare Fusion 4.1.2 on a MacBook Air running OS X 10.7.4. I understand that this could be an issue, but I was hoping it would work given that it seems to work properly when not in bootloader mode...

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Daniel

Outcomes