cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P&E PROGHCS08, Secure Device (SD) command

Jump to solution
irob
Contributor V
Not sure if this is the right forum, but it's worth a try. Anyone using the P&E Multilink programmer? I am and I'm trying to get security working in my user firmware but not having much luck.

What does the SD (Secure Device) command do in the PROGHCS08 programmer? No matter when I execute this command, I get this error:

Started. Error during .08P specified function.

And there is no help on the topic. I've followed the datasheet for securing the device in my user firmware. But what I am unclear on is the workflow for verifying security in the 9S08 family.

I'm very familiar with how this works for the 908 family. In that programming software, the security bytes are manually entered in the programmer so that while entering the MON08 interface, the security is verified.

In the S08 world, there's not that option in the programmer (I'm using v1.37). What am I missing?
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
peg
Senior Contributor IV

Hi Rob,

The reason there is no option in the P&E software is you can't enter the key directly from the BDM.

This is all much different from the 08 and much more secure.

I suggest you read the security section of the manual again, I know it took me a few read throughs. I decided that there is no good reason to be able to "break-in" and haven't implemented a backdoor key although I have tried it to see how it works. There is an AN I think, at least for the GB/GT.

See also here:

http://forums.freescale.com/freescale/board/message?board.id=CWCOMM&message.id=1205

Can't find the AN at the moment,

Regards David

Message Edited by peg on 2006-07-14 08:05 AM

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
irob
Contributor V
UPDATE:

I have security working now in my firmware. I was mistakenly writing to the wrong address for the NVBACKKEY[0:7].

Now PROGHCS08 reports that my target board is secure with the only option to erase the device. I expected there to be an option to enter the security keys but there wasn't. And I have FCNFG_KEYACC = 1 in my firmware to allow for key comparison.

Again, the main question here is with P&E's interface: how does one enter those security keys for all HCS parts in order to see the flash?
0 Kudos
peg
Senior Contributor IV

Hi Rob,

The reason there is no option in the P&E software is you can't enter the key directly from the BDM.

This is all much different from the 08 and much more secure.

I suggest you read the security section of the manual again, I know it took me a few read throughs. I decided that there is no good reason to be able to "break-in" and haven't implemented a backdoor key although I have tried it to see how it works. There is an AN I think, at least for the GB/GT.

See also here:

http://forums.freescale.com/freescale/board/message?board.id=CWCOMM&message.id=1205

Can't find the AN at the moment,

Regards David

Message Edited by peg on 2006-07-14 08:05 AM

0 Kudos