MIKE YETSKO

Assembly programmers

Discussion created by MIKE YETSKO on May 30, 2006
Latest reply on Jun 12, 2006 by Jeff Smith
I was just wondering how many people here are using assembly programming as opposed to C or other languages.

The reason I ask, is that there seems to be a 'divide' between the C people and their forum needs and the 'hardware' people that isn't quite filling the needs of assembly programmers.

Ok, for example...  When I first started with the 9S12 it was with the '9S12 Badge' which came equipped with a 9S12DP256B part.  I got one at a 'seminar' on the Star12.  At that time, the 'rep' warned us about certain 'issues' with the Star12 series and 'tricks' we had to use to do certain things.  (I remember one of them was with lost com interrupts)  Anyway, I wrote my routines in assembly and I have yet to see the problem alluded to in the seminar.  So, I can't help but wonder if the problem is really an issue that the 'C' code was written to how the part was SUPPOSED to work in developement, but my assembly was written to how the part actually DOES work from the spec sheets.  Does that make sense?

Also, I don't use ANY of the templates or other tools in CodeWarrior.  For that matter, I'm running CodeWarrior SE.  The 'early' one that came with the BDM pod.  Originally I was running 1.0, and the ONLY reason I upgraded to 3.x was to get support for the USB-BDM pod.  It also sorta forced me to upgrade my CW 2.0 that I was using for some KX8 stuff.  Well, I 'could' have stayed with CW2.0 for the KX8, but I took the opportunity to upgrade that as well, even though I still have to use the LPT interface for the MON08-MultiLink. 

Another issue is interfacing.  I did my own flash and NVRAM routines.  In assembly of course.  And even I2C routines.  (I'm using a different version part on another project and when it came time to do the I2C, I just wrote my own routines for it so I could develope the original code with my old badge wire-wrapped to a prototype.)

Bottom line is that I think there's a bit of a different 'mindset' for the assembly people than the C people, and just wondered how many other people do assembly programming here.

Mike

Outcomes