CW IDE Too Talkative?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CW IDE Too Talkative?

Wings
Contributor I
Im using Codewarrior IDE v5 with the BDM P&E CyclonePro Debugger.

In the Edit-Compile-Load-Debug loop, when I hit the DEbug button I am flooded with a multitude of windows and dialog boxes before the debugger settles down and is ready for me to get going. Most of the text in those windows flies by so fast I can't read it anyway, but I'm getting better at that now that I've seen it 50,000 times.

So I guess what I'm asking is, does the IDE have a Quiet Mode where I can eliminate all the unnecessary window popping and have it just do it?

Yeah, I can pretty much guess at what the answer to that is, so maybe this should be filed under Feature Request rather than a forum question.

(I've already submitted a feature request for the ability to modify a single byte of flash from the debugger, and was told that will be included in the next IDE version. Yeah! That'll save a lot of time.)

I do have a more specific question about my topic though. When I hit the Debug button the first thing that pops up - after it appears to reload the entire debugger even though it's already running - is the IDC Connection Manager window, and at the top it says "You have selected to display this dialog on startup.", and to continue I must click the Connect button. I've looked everywhere to find where I selected that dialog to appear, and cannot find such a selection anywhere. Can someone tell me how do I turn that off?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

peg
Senior Contributor IV

Hi,

I have a paid for copy of the P&E HCS08 software set.

The pop up you are talking about in this version has a tick box just above the bottom row of buttons that says:

Show this dialog before attempting to contact target (Otherwise only display on error).

This is where I do what you are trying to do. Actually, if you want to change it back you have to create an error to make it come up again where it will be pre-ticked for you.

It looks like the version they have supplied to Codewarrior doesn't have this tickbox but the message at the top remains.

Actually using P&E software fixes the other issues you mention as well!

Regards Peg

0 Kudos

flashtoo
Contributor I
And what is "Hotsync" anyway?  And, why do we have to switch to the HIWAVE debugger in the first place? Why not build this into CodeWarrior directly like it does with other processors?
0 Kudos

Nabla69
Contributor V

Hotsync is to synchronize your debugging cable while the MCU is running without stopping it. If the device is not secured, it's a way for you to see what it's doing and change data on the fly.

HiWave: because was integrated to CodeWarrior when the company's product was bought by Motorola. Still, you can use any debugger and are not obliged to use it. If you want to pay for another one, you can.

Alvin.

0 Kudos

flashtoo
Contributor I
My complaint was not really about HiWave debugger itself.  But for other processors, the debugger is built into CodeWarrior. You can set break points, downlaod and run code right from the CodeWarrior editor screens, without having to launch a separate tool.  For the $$ we shelled out for CodeWarrior, I would have expected better intergration as I had become used to for other variants (for other processors)

BIll
0 Kudos