Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post your questions about the new S12XE here

Steve
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Hello everyone,
  As some of you may have seen, today we announced a new member of the S12X family - the MC9S12XEP100.  (If you missed the announcement: see here & here)
  While it is still early days for the product, some of you may be interested in its features for future projects. With this in mind, we'd like to gather any queries you have into a single thread so that we can correct any problems with the initial information and identify opportunities to create materials that will help with the design-in process.
   AN3234 compares the S12XE with the S12XD and is a good place to start finding out about this new MCU. There's also a flash summary and the full databook. We'd encourage you to post any technical questions that you have here and we'll do our best to answer those and sort out any issues with the published information.

Thanks,
Steve

Message Edited by Alban on 05-10-2006 01:42 PM

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
22 Replies

freescale_fan
Contributor I
Hi,

Many thanks Steve for your info.  It certainly did help in clearing up the fact that i was looking for a non existant needle in a hay-stack.

But i have now encountered another issue, while putting the microcontroller in STOP and PSEUDO stop mode, i now actually get to see the Oscillator clock output on the ECLK pin.  And this has confused me majorly.  If anyone has seen this happenning or has any clue as to what could be going wrong, pls reply back. 

The following are my settings.

__asm ANDCC #$7F : to clear S bit in the CCR

__asm STOP : to put the controller in full stop mode.

For pseudo stop:

CLKSEL_PSTP = 1: for setting up the pseudo stop mode.

__asm ANDCC #$7F : to clear S bit in the CCR

__asm STOP : to put the controller in pseudo stop mode.

Am i missing out anything here?

Awaiting a response.

Sincerely,
Freescale admirer

0 Kudos

Steve
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
These are the correct steps so it looks like you are not going into stop mode.
Check your interrupt sources and in particular the XIRQ pin level - any of these active will cause the part to wake.
0 Kudos

freescale_fan
Contributor I
Hi,

thanks again for the info, i found the cause for interrupts and was able to solve the issue, it was the lock bit interrupt that was enabled.

I need some help on the codewarrior for S12XEP, i am not sure whether this is the right place to ask this question, but i will go ahead. 

I need to enable some option that will allow me to power up a board(already programmed with my application), open codewarrior 4.5 (it has the XEP patch) , open the debug mode (using the softech evaluation board EVB9S12XEP100  which has an inbulit debugger, only the USB cable is connected to the computer) and pass the control to the debugger without it having to erase the Flash memory and the NVM memory in the XEP100, on getting control, the debugger without any erase operation should be just able to read back the memory locations and also be able to execute already programmed code.

Awaiting your response.

Sincerely,
Freescale admirer.
0 Kudos

Steve
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
I think you will have more chance of an answer if you ask that question in the CodeWarrior forum.

Thanks
0 Kudos

freescale_fan
Contributor I
Hi,

I have a question regarding the power modes supported by XEP100, more specifically the Pseudo Stop power mode.  As per the datasheet, the Osillator is supposed to be up and running in the Pseudo Stop mode, however i am not able to find any differences between the Pseudo Stop and the Stop modes. Prior to entering Pseudo Stop i am running the clock using the IPLL (configured for 20Mhz) and am getting 10Mhz clock at the ECLK output. The following is the sequence of events in my code.

1) Enable pseudo stop mode by setting the PSTP bit in the CLKSEL register.. PSTP = 1

2) Enabling the Stop functionality by using the instruction ANDCC #$7F (clearing the S bit in CCR)

3) Executing the assembly instruction _asm("STOP")

As observed on the ECLK pin, the clock output completely goes low and dead.  I am working with the EVB9S12XEP100 with a 4Mhz crystal, hence i should be expecting a 2MHz output on the ECLK pin in Pseudo Stop mode.  However no such thing is occuring.

Kindly help in clearing up my query as to whether Pseudo stop actually works for this core.

Sincerely,
Freescale Admirer
0 Kudos

Steve
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Hi,
 The difference between Pseudo-stop and Stop mode is that the oscillator keeps running which allows a much faster response to wake-up events that require the oscillator to be running. While Pseudo-stop keeps the oscillator running it does not provide clocks to the rest of the MCU so the ECLK is stopped and therefore not visible on PE4. The only elements that have a clock active in Pseudo-stop mode are the COP, RTI and API which are inside the clock and reset generator module.
 Hope that helps.
0 Kudos

Bedard
Contributor I
Hi,

I search a micro controller for a new automotive design and I think the MC9S12XEP series can do what I want but I have some questions:

1-  I need budgetary pricing ?  If you have an idea of the USD price for MC9S12XEP100 with 144 pins counts it can help me very much to select or not this device.

2-  Do you know the estimated date for production?

Thank you,

Daniel

0 Kudos

Steve
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Hi Daniel. Pricing and availability questions are best answered by your local Freescale representative. Please contact them about this question or see http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/homepage.jsp?nodeId=01098400786959705928692 for more information.

Thanks.
0 Kudos

mcgeeph
Contributor II
I looked around and didn't see any support among the S12X for J1850.  Did I miss it, or is this something that is going to be forthcoming?  Thanks. 
0 Kudos

Steve
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi mcgeeph,

The S12X family does not have support for J1850 - the S12D family has J1850 support. I'm sorry I can't comment on future plans here (your local rep can help you) but there is a family roadmap available here.

0 Kudos

mcgeeph
Contributor II
I had already looked at the road map and didn't find it.  I already have a call into the local rep and haven't gotten a response yet on the planned future.  Regardless, thank you for your response.  :smileyhappy:
0 Kudos

joose2006
Contributor I

hi, steve

in hcs12 to debug is necesary bdm interface, but my question is, could my pc debug throug tx, rx ? what is necesary, tools,harware sofware. to made a master eslave sistems witch pc monitor remote in each mcu

thanks

joose2006

0 Kudos

Steve
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Joose, there are various forum topics that cover this subject and several bootloader application notes. Please review the content of the forum and start a new thread if you have specific question.
0 Kudos

AndyW
Contributor I
Hi Steve

All I need to know is how much and when?

Has the TSMC problems put this back as well?

Thanks

Andy.
0 Kudos

Steve
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Andy,
  Individual cost and availability can only be answered by your local representative. As I said it's early days - we have initial sampling going on now and I'd like to keep the discussion here to any technical issues.
  I'm not aware of a delay caused by TSMC. The part is in sample quantity and is a different process to the other S12s anyway.

Message Edited by Steve on 05-22-200609:32 AM

0 Kudos

GordonD
Contributor IV
Eric,

The SCBDMPGMRS12 Serial BDM Programmer is intended for high speed production programming rather than development. The current version can erase, program and verify an S12 256K device in under 10 seconds. The programmer can operate in a standalone mode where the S-Record file is downloaded into the programmer, disconnected from the computer and target devices can be programmed with the push of a single button. The SCBDMPGMRS12 Serial BDM Programmer may not be cost effective when programming a small number of devices, however, for high volume manufacturers (like the automotive companies) every second counts. We are working on a new version that will be able to program 512K S12X devices in around 12 seconds and 1024K devices in about double that time.

I have done some work on a version of D-Bug12 for the S12X family, however, other projects have kept me from completeing a version that I feel comfortable releasing to the public at this point. I will be continuing work on it though and plan to add S12XE100 support.

Regards,
Gordon
0 Kudos

Keep_Smiling_2
Contributor I
Well Gordon,
   I hope you're not just producing these for the automotive industry; we all know where that's going;-)
Can i control the printf to work witrh TxD1 and RxD1 to use hypertermianl to aid in development?
0 Kudos

imajeff
Contributor III

Keep_Smiling_2 wrote:
Well Gordon,

I hope you're not just producing these for the automotive industry; we all know where that's going;-)

I'm curious... Where is the automotive industry going?
0 Kudos

englere
Contributor I

Thanks Gordon. You've done a great job supporting these devices and I'm very happy overall. Sometimes I have to work with non-Freescale chips and it's frustrating trying to get the kind of low level information I need from them. Also, you guys were the first ones to support single wire debugging (was this 1998, I don't remember when the first 68hc12 BDM came out), and now that some other chip makers are *finally* starting to do this, they're treating it as a proprietary technology and they're not giving out the details (this applies to 2 companies I know of and I've heard that others are doing this also).

I'd love to see the source released for d-bug12, but I understand if that can't be done. We're still much better off with Freescale than with the others.

0 Kudos

englere
Contributor I
Wow, very impressive - 1 Meg of flash!

When will devlopment boards be available?

The SCBDMPGMRS12 BDM device says that it's "low cost", but it shows an estimated prive of $500. This isn't my idea of low cost. I guess it will be a closed design based on a proprietary USB interface?

Will d-bug12 based BDM pods work with these devices?

Will be AN2548 serial monitor be adapted for this device? That makes for some cheap debugging for eval purposes, and its friendly to gcc.

Eric
0 Kudos