M5213EVB - targeting flash and debugging in flash

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M5213EVB - targeting flash and debugging in flash

Tonkabot
Contributor III
I am new to Codewarrior so there are many things that are 'Different'.

I can play with the demo code and it works great for target 'Console-SRAM', but I want to take the next step and burn it into the CPU's Flash memory, so that the EVB will start running my hacked demo code from flash when it boots.

I've tried to use the 'UART-Flash" target, and I can't seem to get it to work. I also believe I has set the 'flash programmer' tool as described and 'programed' and it still doesn't work.

So here are my questions:
1) What is the correct way to target the internel flash?
2) What limitations are there to debugging/single stepping when using the internal flash?
3) does the BDM enable jumper need to be removed when the BDM is not plugged in?
4) It is not hanging on some DTR signal in the UART since I didn't actually hook up the serial port, correct?

Brynn
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

airswit
Contributor III
glad to hear it is working. however...be careful when you 'debug' when the target is internal rom. this seems to just run the code that has already been flashed to the ROM, so change the target to 'console debug' to be certain you are running your modified code, when you make changes
0 Kudos

airswit
Contributor III
to program the flash: build for the target 'internal rom' or 'flash' or whatever it is called. go to the flash programmer. 'load settings' for your target. erase. program. if it says it is successful, you should be able to restart your board with the code running. I can't remember whether all you have to do is reset the board, but i'm pretty sure that is it. if it still doesn't work, remove the BDM cable and hit the reset button
0 Kudos

Tonkabot
Contributor III
Okay, That worked.

Thanks. Debugging seems to be fine too.

The one thing that I did not get right before posting this question was that in the 'flash programmer' 'flash configuration' window the flash base address was not set to 0x000000. When I forced it to load settings, then picked the "CFM_MCF5213.xml" file, it reset the base address to 0x000000 (it was something else 0xf80000 or something).

Otherwise I had tried everything at least once and it had not worked.

Brynn
0 Kudos