cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open source BDM design for Coldfire

JayJay
Contributor I
Hello All

Currently it seems like P&E BDM  (either parallel or USB) is the only way to go for debugging, is there an alternative to this? Is it possible to design in our own BDM pod? any docs available on this?

Thanks
Jay
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies

lijiandong
Contributor I

Hi Freegeek,

How about the status of your Open source BDM design for Coldfire?

I am very interesting in the Coldfire family, and want to make one mcf52235 or mcf5213 board for playing. but I havn't any BDM tool for debugging,

So now I am waiting for you open BDM to release.

0 Kudos

free_geek
Contributor I
Check on the new post in the sticky area at the top, it is now released!

Message Edited by free.geek on 2006-08-23 10:03 AM

0 Kudos

w2vy
Contributor V
What is the status of this? I don't see any sticky posts in this thread
0 Kudos

ChrisJohns
Contributor I

Do you mean pod designs or host software ?

The GDB integration is alive and well and being used.

0 Kudos

w2vy
Contributor V

I came across CFFLASHER which will what I need.

Thanks

0 Kudos

lijiandong
Contributor I

Hi freegeeks.

Have you plan regarding Open source BDM for Powerpc?

0 Kudos

freegeek
Contributor III

lijiandong wrote:

Hi freegeeks.

Have you plan regarding Open source BDM for Powerpc?

No plans for PPC, its just too complicated and the packages are too difficult to build for a student/hobbyist.
0 Kudos

freegeek
Contributor III
I am converting the S12 tbdml  USB to BDM open source board (see more info at www.freegeeks.net ) to be capable of supporting Coldfire. I estimate that we will have it ready for release by the end of June. We will publish here once complete. Send me a pm if you are interested in beta testing, telling me why you would be the best beta tester.
0 Kudos

englere
Contributor I
I'd like to support the TBDML in my new visual debugger, but I want to make sure there's a commercial maker for them first. It isn't worth a lot of my effort to support the relatively small numbers of users who would make their own.

Is there any chance a company will produce these in assembled form?

Right now I only support 6812 assembler debugging but I'd like to add gcc support, and Coldfire.

Netburner has cost effective 5213 boards, but there's no cost effective BDM for Coldfire yet (P & E's parallel port BDM costs twice as much as the 5213 board!).
0 Kudos

JayJay
Contributor I
Hi Eric,

>Is there any chance a company will produce these in assembled form?

Once the design is stable, I can commit to make around 50 pcs for students and hobbiest to buy. If the demand is higher I can make more of them and offer it at a reasonable cost.

Since Freegeek is ready to release the design in opensource and if there is a reasonable opensource software available for it, it would benifit the whole Coldfire community.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers
Jay
0 Kudos

englere
Contributor I
You guys do great work! I'm looking for a cheap BDM to support, and I've already looked at your code and found it to be first-rate!

My only concern is that I'd like to see ANY company stock these fully assembled boards so students/hobbiests would have an easy source.

It sometimes takes some time to generate grass-roots interest in this kind of thing. As you know, professors tend to move slowly when it comes to modifying their lesson plans :smileyhappy:

Would it be possible for one of these BDM devices to work on the 9s12 family and the Coldfire family? My current work is for the 9s12 so I'd like to support that platform first. In fact, I have no experience at all with Coldfire yet.
0 Kudos

freegeek
Contributor III

englere wrote:

Would it be possible for one of these BDM devices to work on the 9s12 family and the Coldfire family? My current work is for the 9s12 so I'd like to support that platform first. In fact, I have no experience at all with Coldfire yet.

No plans to support both from one board.
0 Kudos

freegeek
Contributor III
I am not sure if the board will be produced commercially by anyone, but anyone is free to reuse the design as it is being produced in an open source format. The board is targetted to students and hobbyists who can not afford a comercial solution and will give good if not great performance. It is not targetted to compete with comercially avaiable solutions.
0 Kudos

freegeek
Contributor III
Here is a sneak preview:

Message Edited by Alban on 05-10-200612:20 PM

0 Kudos

mnorman
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
0 Kudos