cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB to Mon08

eckhard
Contributor V
Hello,

I read the different messages and I´m not sure now what usb to rs232 konverters work for the Mon08 protocol. Is it true that the FTDI chips are working ?
Its time now to build a usb based mon08 programmer and there should be an usb chip with virual com port driver for windows availible  that can be used with the p&e or Metrowrks tools.
Any suggestions ?

Eckhard
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

peg
Senior Contributor IV

Hi Eckhard,

From what I have read the FTDI chips work with MON08.

I have got a FT232BL chip and an entry on my to do list.

My main purpose is to turn the SCI port on a GT16 into an USB port. But I was intending to use the prototype to test out a USB MON08 adapter as well.

BR Peg

0 Kudos

celsoken
Contributor V
Dear Peg,

Regarding this subject I couldn't find a conclusive answer, maybe I'm getting old and dummy, but do you still remember if the FTDI chip works on MON08?

Thanks in advance,

Celso
0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi Celso,

I seem to remember someone reporting that they got it to work with a FTDI device.
I have a couple of FTDI parts (chips only). that I will soon design into a product. I intend to trial this with the MON08 when I get it going. But that project is on the back burner at the moment.
If you get something going please report the result back here.

0 Kudos

celsoken
Contributor V
Dear Peg,

Ok, the board is up and running.
I've placed a FT232R USB UART as well as all the necessary stuff to handle all the different physical layer protocols.

I checked all the info about MON08 and USB-UART converters and except for NoICe claims their software does work w FTDI and Silabs, nothing really conclusive.

I've set the VCOM driver for COM1, it seems to be the only port that CW recognizes, it enters MON mode, generates sw reset (board type 4), erases flash, starts programming and aborts with "error 14 during script".

Did someone go any further? Joerg talked about 10-bit break signal necessary, but I've found no specs on MON08 protocols.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Celso
0 Kudos

celsoken
Contributor V
Dear Peg,

I just got stuck of carrying along lots of adapters for serial interfaces so I decided to put a USB-serial converter in a pack for all my current needs: RS-232, LIN, RS-485, J1708 and FlexLed (we use the stupid blanking error code led to transmit serial info for debugging and aftermarket data collection - but it is another box). If it works w/ MON08, good news, I don't have to carry the Multilink.

I'll let you know about the results in 3/4 wks.

Regards,

Celso
0 Kudos