Intro questions

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intro questions

isabelong
Contributor I
I am looking to buy the demo board DEMO9S12XDT512 MCU having never used Freescale microdontrollers before, i have used microchips PICs with assembler but would like to experiment with freescale MC's with CAN

Would this be a good MC to use for automotive applications?

Whats language is generally used with such MC's? And is it used for the majority of freescale MCs?

Are there any good example websites etc

Cheers

Message Edited by isabelong on 04-11-200602:48 AM

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

ernestsnaith
Contributor I
One last question for now. While i am waiting for my kits (including code warrior) is there a list anywhere of instructions available. Having used assembler until now i am eager to see more than 35 instructions.
0 Kudos

imajeff
Contributor III
0 Kudos

glork
Contributor I

ernestsnaith wrote:
One last question for now. While i am waiting for my kits (including code warrior) is there a list anywhere of instructions available. Having used assembler until now i am eager to see more than 35 instructions.

Yes, that certainly sounds like PIC. One of the most significant things about Freescale processors is their incredibly rich instruction set. You will be very pleased if you write in assembly.

Go onto the Freescale website and locate the family reference manual for the cpu family you intend to use. You will find the instruction set in there.
Good luck.
ron
0 Kudos

Steve
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Hi and welcome to the forum.
The XDP512 is very well suited to automotive applications and the demo board is a nice tool to start with.
There is a general trend to program in C and this is made easy with the CodeWarrior Special Edition toolset that includes compilers and debuggers - have a look around this forum to see what people think about it.
There are quite a number of resources on the web. Start with the facilities on this website (training, app notes, data books) and have a look at independent sources including books. The S12XD512 comes from a long line of processors so there is much useful information available under "68HC12" and "S12" as well.
I'll ask the independent users here to suggest their favourite websites.
0 Kudos