programming Serial Monitor into HCS08GB60 using USB Multilink

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

programming Serial Monitor into HCS08GB60 using USB Multilink

agreer
Contributor I
I did something wrong and now the serial monitor is erased from the Flash ROM in my GB60 Demo board. I borrowed a USB Multilink cable from a friend in an attempt to re-program the serial monitor into the flash on my board. I can't figure out how to properly program the serial monitor code.
So far, here is what I've done:

Open the serial monitor project in codewarrior (AN2140).
Physically connect PC to the board with the Multilink.
Begin a debugging session in Codewarrior.
On the debug window, I get a box asking me if I want to program the flash, and I click yes.
Then, some commands scroll by and it stops after saying "CRC-5 failed at 0xFC00".
This seems significant because I thought the serial monitor code was supposed to begin at this location.

Is there some procedure I must follow to unlock the upper part of flash, then re-program, then re-lock?
I have found using the multilink much more complicated than using the serial monitor. (And much more complicated than other tools I've used, such as TI-FET.)

If anyone has some advice, please post it here.
Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Blackwolf
Contributor III

Hello Agreer,

well, in fact the USB monitor is much more stable than the monitor and allow the user to use the entire vector tables. The monitor needs to handle some vectors to set up the communication in contrary to the BDM solutions, for basic applications, the monitor is enough, but it may to generate some conflicts when developing a more complexe program, i.e. when using an RTOS like Osek...

Well now back to the problem:smileywink:

I would suggest you to use the stationery wizard of Codewarrior to create a small project for P&E USB cable , then try to erase and load the small *.abs file generated by this project... this will at least allow you to check if the communication goes well...

Then if it works, try to load the monitor using this project: once the communication is established in the menu PEDebug, select the 'load'...

Another point to check... maybe your S08 is locked... P&E provides a small application for free which allows the users to unlock the S08 and the S12:

_ go to their webpage: www.pemicro.com
_ click on the 'support' section
_ then, click on 'documentations and downloads'
_ in the list select 'Utility' as 'download type' and '68HCS08' as 'product family.
_ then simply download and use the software called 'Unsecure_12' (it works for HCS08 AND for HCS12).

Hope this helps :smileywink:

0 Kudos

agreer
Contributor I
Yes, I know the serial monitor has a few drawbacks, but it suits my purposes for now.

I tried what you suggested, but I was not successful.

I downloaded the Unsecure12 program, but it would not detect my HCS08 chip.

When I created a new project in Codewarrior, I was able to load it into flash. But, I was not able to load the .abs file for the serial monitor. I get the same error message every time. "CRC checksum failed at block FC00-FB00".

I really need to restore this serial monitor. Has anyone ever had to reprogram the serial monitor? If you have, please try to help with some instructions.

thanks a lot!!!

Message Edited by agreer on 04-05-200610:05 PM

0 Kudos

Blackwolf
Contributor III
Hello Agreer,

ok, thanks for the feedback.
Well this issue may require some further investigations, so I would invite you to submit a ticket to the support..
note: do not forget to specify the CD version of the HCs08 tools you are using

Blackwolf
0 Kudos

agreer
Contributor I
I submitted a service request the same day I posted here. I'm still waiting to hear back from them. Hopefully I'll hear something soon.
thanks for your suggestions.
0 Kudos