Did you mean: 

Problems with CW5 & MC9S08GT60CFB

mjcoury
Contributor I
This is what I have...

CW version 5.
13192-SARD with MC9S08GT60CFB
P&E USB Multilink HCS08/HCS12 Rev A

Anytime hiwave starts it locks up... if it does start it will not program the chip...  I have tried to uninstll and reinstall CW version 3.1 and 5.0 and can never get a clean uninstall (lots of junk is left over) is there something obvious here that is not set up correctly?

MC
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Blackwolf
Contributor III
Hello Mjcoury,

humm... 2 points:

First point: the P&E cable revision...
Well the Rev.A is quiet old and had some stability issues, I remember that some of our customers experienced some problems while using it under recent operating system. I would suggest you, if possible, to upgrade to a more recent version, at least Rev.B to support the USB 2.0 format (the current revision is Rev. D I think...)

Second point: installation clean up process
Usually, we recommend to our customers that are facing stability issues to perform, step by step the following clean up process...

(Note: could be applied as well, in case of ANY application crashes :smileywink: )

Important: do not omit any steps, especially all the restarts, there are necessary to clean up the registry properly !!

CLEAN UP PROCESS:

0) If you have programs that startup up after reboot, these programs should be disabled before attempting the procedure below.  This reduces possible variables causing the problem and aids in this troubleshooting clean-up.  

1) Backup your license.dat files in another location

2) reboot

3) completely uninstall all CodeWarrior installations from the machine, every last one of them

4) go out and delete any leftover CodeWarrior folders if the uninstall did not remove them.

5) delete all CodeWarrior prefs (the uninstall gives this option but also check to see if any old prefs exist after uninstall -- they exist in the usual Windows locations for application prefs (ie. 'My Documents') )

6) After all CW is removed, reboot the machine.

7) Perform a scandisk and a defragmentation of the installation drive (and the C: drive as well if codewarrior is not installed there)

8) Reboot again

9) Now do a clean installation of our tools,  restore the license.dat file and in the .\bin\ subfolder of your installation, execute the regsever.bat

10) Reboot again

On a normal machine, there should be no problems with the above procedure -  If it all works as predicted, then we've eliminated all install issue variables and erased any possible corrupted CodeWarrior install.

If all goes well,  the installation is clean, new and ready.

If anyway, the problem remains, then, submit a ticket to the support... further investigations may be required...

Blackwolf
0 Kudos

mjcoury
Contributor I
Blackwolf,

Thanks for the help, I will try this as soon as I can.  However, I checked with P&E, and for the USB-ML-12 there are only up to revision B.  Now the USB-ML-08 is up to rev D.

I have used the my USB-ML-12 to program S12's with success... however that was on a different computer running obviously a different version of CW... so i will give this a shot.
0 Kudos

mjcoury
Contributor I
Update

I ran CW on a different machine and now get much further along.... Hiwave doesn't crash and the first time i ran it, CW updated the firmware in my BDM and then while programming i recieved

Error 45 during programming

all i can do is click abort to continue... the LEDs on the BDM go out and I have physically unplug and replub my BDM back in....

Thanks for any help
0 Kudos

mjcoury
Contributor I
Here's a photo
0 Kudos

k5jhf
Contributor I

I am seeing a similar problem programming a 9s08qg8. I get error 14 ... error loading .s8p file. I think it is related to an access violation bug in the mask. I am very discouraged and hope Freescale can address this problem ASAP. I just bought 8 of the QG8 chips from Digi-Key and I can't program them with CW5 and a rev A USB Multilink. I only have four wires tied to the chip and have 10K pullups on the reset and BDM. It acts like there is no access to the ram while loading the programming algorithm in to ram. Also this seems like a left over protection or access violation as mentioned in the Engineering Bulliten for all s08 chips and masks. Help :smileyhappy:

Regards,

John

0 Kudos

mjcoury
Contributor I

Haha!

So if you run the P&E BDM through a USB hub built into a Dell flat screen... it will probably not work....

all better... just need to fix my installation on my PC

0 Kudos

alexod
Contributor I
I have seen similar troubles using my P&E Multilink for Coldfire with a USB Hub.  I had a Rolodex two port USB2.0 hub with 110VAC out also - a very handy thing.  With this in my system I had periodic lock ups of Codewarrior, or the programming tools.  I switched to an iConnect 4 port powered hub.  Same problem.

The problem manifested itself whether the P&E was through the hub, or through another port on my, you guessed it, Dell laptop.

So is it P&E and hubs in general, or Dell and Hubs and P&E in combination?
0 Kudos