cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M68EVB912B32 EVB SCI Usage

cjw
Contributor I
Hi!

When using the above mentioned evaluation board, I transfer listing files (.s19) to it using the Windows Hyperterminal and a connection via the serial port. Does this mean I cannot use the serial port in my programs? Looking at the EVB manual it seems like I must use a BDM (background debug mode) setup to open up the SCI port for usage for my programs. Does anyone have experience or pointers with this board and serial communications?

Aren't there a total of three serial ports available on the chip (SCI0, SCI1, and SPI)?

Thanks for all and any help and advice.

Christian
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

alex_spotw
Contributor III
Hi:

Looking into the datasheet of the B32, I found only ONE asynchronous serial port (SCI0).

The SPI interface is a serial interconnect interface but is it not equivalent to an RS232 serial port.

The B32 has also a J1850 byte data link communication (BDLC), which is not equivalent to an RS232 serial port, either.

DO you know which serial bootloader you have? Some serial bootloaders allow some serial port usage.

I recomment to get the BDM unit, because it will allow you to debug your application much easily, and you won't have to juggle the serial port with the bootloader. BMDs from P&E sell for about US$99, which is not a bad deal.

Regards,

Alex.
0 Kudos

cjw
Contributor I
Unfortunately I am unable to get a BDM interface and I am under time pressure to complete the serial link. I was unware that this board restricts serial port usage. It runs D-BUG12 2.0.2. There are two jumpers (W1,W2) on the board that disable the RxD and TxD lines. If I then go port S and use lines S0 and S1, I will try if I can receive some data on an interrupt basic. But as always, few code examples (in assembler) exist, which will make this an extremly tedious process. I'll see how it goes...
0 Kudos