USBDM 4.9.5 / Flash Programmer HCS08 / Erase the Flash Memory without Reprogramming?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBDM 4.9.5 / Flash Programmer HCS08 / Erase the Flash Memory without Reprogramming?

Jump to solution
florianton
Contributor I

Hello,

in the past I was using the Flash Programmer for the HCS08 microcontroller with success.

No I want to erase the whole flash memory of the micorocontroller to make some investigations with an unprogrammed system (safe state of I/O lines, etc.).

Unfortunately it seems not to possible to erase the device without reprogramming it immediately.

Have I overlooked something?

Best regards, Florian

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Florian,

The programmers don't allow programming unless a file has been loaded.  This was the intended operation previously but I may have overlooked some condition.  It was intended that you could trim or secure a device without a file but this would not serve your requirement. This was just me being careful.

You will have to load an empty S19 file such as that attached and use the Mass Erase option.

bye

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Florian,

The programmers don't allow programming unless a file has been loaded.  This was the intended operation previously but I may have overlooked some condition.  It was intended that you could trim or secure a device without a file but this would not serve your requirement. This was just me being careful.

You will have to load an empty S19 file such as that attached and use the Mass Erase option.

bye

0 Kudos
florianton
Contributor I

Hello pgo,

I've tested your suggestion to use an empty S19 file to erase the flash of the microcontroller.

It has worked very well in my case - thank you very much!

But I still think it would not be a bad idea to add an extra button for mass erase without programming the microcontroller to the flash programming tool.

Example: with the "STM32 ST-Link Utility" for the STM32 microcontroller I can choose if I only want to "erase", "erase & program" or "erase & program & verify" the chip.

But don't get me wrong.

I'm very happy that this tool exists and I only want to give you a feedback for improvement!

Best regards,

Florian

0 Kudos