MC68HC908QCxx

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC68HC908QCxx

Encoder
Contributor I
What about MC68HC908QC08/16: is it a ghost?
It seems to be a valid low cost alternative to 16 pin QB family where you need just some more pin, up to 28.

It is listed on "Freescale's 8 bit product summary 1q 2006" and it placed between 908QB and 908AP high performance / low cost, repacing 908EY16 which definitely seems to be phased-out (why? boh...)

There is a Demo board, a fact sheet and an Errata mask set document. But no data sheet nor availability....

Any news on that?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

RockyRoad
Contributor III

The MC68HC908QC08/16 has been delayed and is now set to launch later this year, probably late Q2. When the Q1 2006 8-bit Products Summary was put together, they probably felt safe putting it in as "New!"

The EY16 is actually on the Product Summary also (down in the Application-Specific Products section and it is very much alive.

(I have to add the usual disclaimer that any quoted dates are subject to change...)

0 Kudos

Encoder
Contributor I
Yes, perhaps 908EY is not dead, not still, at least. Its final executioner will be 908QC...
At just half the price and with only 4 less pin (perhaps not so important anyway) it has exactly the same attractive peripherals, ESCI, 10 vs. 8 10bit-ADC channels, 4 vs. 2 timers and, not least, a low cost modern demoboard. A bigger 908QB which is worth every cent it costs.
At the same price you may have much more from the wide freescale 8-bit cpu range, either older HC908 (908AP32) or the newer much more powerfull 9s08AW16/32.

Obviously If Freescale would have pushed the existing 908EY which is not bad at all but costly, they would have proposed it at the same projected price for the QC: at that point no matter for 2 ADC lines more or less or 2 more timers. Better an egg today than the hen tomorrow.
And we would have not another CPU in the (too much) crowded 8 bit arena. I think that they could have better spent their efforts to place something like 908QC in the much hotter middle between 9S08QG8 and the 9S08AW16, with 5V supply too.
What a pity we must still wait...

0 Kudos