Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From MSP430 to K30 or K40

Jump to solution
BasePointer
Contributor II

Dears,

We have a product realized using MSP430F47187 from Texas. We will start designing a similar product soon but with more software requirement. So MSP430 series will not be enough anymore. 256KB Flash + 64KB RAM + LCD + RTC + Ethernet and Low Power Modes are required. So we are planning to replace MSP430 with K30 or K40 series or there are alternatives from ST with STM32L series.

I have some doubts about power consumption of K30 comparing to MSP430.

• Our application requires RTC working always, MCU should wake up every minute and  measure temperature, do RTC compensation and enter into stop mode again. Can  K30 or K40 do that?

• When user press button or at any switch activities, MCU should wake up and take some logs. All these action will be done by taking power from battery. Are these series suitable at this task (MSP430 series were very good at this)

• I know this series are new, are they reliable enough to use on such as industrial products? Or should we simply go with STM32L?

Thanks

BP

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BenGartner
Contributor II

I had success with a K10. In low leakge stop mode, the board ended up drawing about 11uA including the micro. If you need currents this low, make sure you check the low-leakage wakeup unit source to make sure your applications wake sources are included. Also check the errata for your part, some of the low power modes didn't work on our K10.

Page 17 of this doc has more info about low power mode.s 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
eli_hughes
Contributor V

I have quite a bit of experience with the MSP430.    You should be able to do those operations with the kinetis.  I would highly recommend you study the reference manual though.   If you need Ethernet you should look at K60.

I have no experience with the STM devices.

0 Kudos
BasePointer
Contributor II

Hi Eli,

My worry is that how good K30 or K40 is at low power modes. Can I measure low power mode consumption on K40 tower kit? Kit hardware shouldn't consume any current while K40 is in low power mode to see real consumption of MCU.

K60 has ethernet but no PHY which is expensive and complex to route. We are plaing to use ENC424 series from microchip as MAC+PHY instead of using internal MAC.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
BenGartner
Contributor II

I had success with a K10. In low leakge stop mode, the board ended up drawing about 11uA including the micro. If you need currents this low, make sure you check the low-leakage wakeup unit source to make sure your applications wake sources are included. Also check the errata for your part, some of the low power modes didn't work on our K10.

Page 17 of this doc has more info about low power mode.s 

0 Kudos