James Millard

WAIT problem with MCF51QE128

Discussion created by James Millard on May 15, 2012
Latest reply on May 17, 2012 by James Millard

I have an MCF51QE128 with a serial interface hooked to the computer.  I can send a command to the microcontroller  to go to wait.  This works fine -- it writes to the EEPROM (using I2C) as it should then enters wait. 

When I send it another serial command, it wakes up and processes normally as far as I can tell -- I've stepped through with the debugger and watched it.  The problem is when I send a second wait command, it cannot write to the EEPROM.  It cannot transmit a byte. 

The only thing that I can figure out is that the clock frequency has changed somehow.  I've read through the manual and thought it might have been the voltage regulator, so I set LPWUI to 1 to keep it powered up, but no luck.

Unfortuneately, I'm working with production hardware and it's so small I can't get a scope probe on it to check.

Here's my current startup code (I think the macros are self explanatory):

SOPT1 = bWAIT | bBKGDPE;SOPT2 = bCOPCLKS | BIIC1PS;SMPSC1 = bLVDE;SMPSC2 = bLPWUI | bLPR;SCGC1 = bCKENTPM3 | bCKENTPM2 | bCKENIIC1 | bCKENSCI1 | bCKENADC;

and this is where I go into wait:

/* Stop clocks we don't need */SCGC1 = bCKENSCI1;_Wait;/* Start the clocks */SCGCI1 = bCKENTPM3 | bCKENTPM2 | bCKENIIC1 | bCKENSCI1 | bCKENADC;

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?  Am I missing something obvious?  I've not used WAIT before, so maybe I'm making assumptions that aren't correct.  If there is something else that might be helpful, ask.  I can't post all of my code.

Thanks for your help!

Brad

Outcomes