Newbie Question - Is CodeWarrior for Windows Dead??

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Question - Is CodeWarrior for Windows Dead??

thebofh
Contributor I
I usually hate to ask such a question but I am completely new to CodeWarrior.  I was just wondering if the CodeWarrior for Windows is dead?  Forgive me if this has already been addressed.  If it has please just point me to the discussion.  Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

marc_paquette
Contributor V
To be able to concentrate and improve its development tools for other platforms, Freescale sold its Intel x86 compiler and debugger technology to a third party. As a result, Freescale will no longer create and sell development tools for the Intel x86 platform.

However, this sale does not affect your right to use CodeWarrior or develop x86 software with licensed CodeWarrior tools.

Finally, Freescale is happy to continue to support these products in this forum.

I hope this addresses your concerns.

Marc.
0 Kudos

thebofh
Contributor I
If you don't mind me asking, who did Metrowerks sell their Windows compiler to? 

<rant>

You know this whole thing reminds me a lot of the Apple Newton thing.  With the Newton you had a product that was, and in some cases still is, before its time.  The value was not really recognized by the "money lords".  The Windows CodeWarrior version reminds me a lot of the same thing.  I have used many Windows and Linux C++ development systems and I can truly say that the CodeWarrior system is at the top - even if it is "dead".  I just think that this is a real shame.  I wish instead of it being sold that Metrowerks or I guess Freescale would have made it Open Source.  At least in the OS community it would still have a fighting chance.  Just my two cents worth.

</rant>
0 Kudos

marc_paquette
Contributor V

Metrowerks sold the tools for Windows and Symbian to Nokia.

I understand your frustration. The bottom line (so to speak) is that as much as Metrowerks would have liked to continue developing Windows desktop tools for a only few customers, the "money lords" decided to redirect the limited resources of Metrowerks to its core embedded business to benefit the majority of its customers.

Marc.

0 Kudos

PetB
Contributor I
Maybe a bit off topic in this thread - but is Mac version supported? I downloaded version 10 some time ago and wanted to try it now, but seems I cannot register it any more.
0 Kudos

thebofh
Contributor I
A lot of good things go by the wayside because the money is the most important thing.  It is getting to the place that it does not matter whether the product is a good one or not - bottom line, does it sell and pay for itself.  Well, I for one will continue to use CodeWarrior because it is good.  I can only hope that the CodeWarrior community will rise to the challenge of producing add-ons that will enhance CodeWarrior even more.  I only say that because that is just what the Newton community has done - we are alive and well.  Thanks for the memories, Metrowerks...
0 Kudos

MCP2006
Contributor I
<<because the money is the most important thing.>>

Yes.

That reflects also how many software products are developed for Windows compared to the Mac. There is more cash in Windows development than Mac development.

well, besides...it just happened that way.

:smileysad:
0 Kudos

MCP2006
Contributor I
Thanks thebofh for addressing that Newton Thing.

Yes I agree fully with you

But think about that for a minute:

How many end-users are out there using Codewarrior?
Metrowerks should have offered the sale to the community.
I'm sure that everyone would have put their cash into it to
keep Codewarrior going.
0 Kudos

MCP2006
Contributor I
It looks pretty much "dead". I don't think there will ever be a re-incarnation of Codewarrior for Windows.

My suggestion to you is:

Do as I do. Keep the Codewarrior Box in a VERY safe place, and Codewarrior installed on your HardDrive. Lite up some candles each year, pull over your Blood Sweat 'n' Code Shirt then open a bottle of J.Walker and drink, drink, drink.

Codewarrior is a Legend - something like the Holly Grail for coders you might say.
For all of you who didn't have the chance to see Codewarrior blooming on their HardDrives ... well, sorry but's a tough one.

Long Life to C++
0 Kudos

thebofh
Contributor I
Well, thanks for the info.  I am fortunate to have the full 8.x and 9.x versions for Windows.  I will have to agree that CodeWarrior is quite a legend.  It is really funny that a product that is now "dead" can produce Windows executables that are smaller and faster than most anything currently available.  What "suit" made the decision to kill one of the best compilers out there.  Oh well, I am just thankful that I do have backups of the install. 
0 Kudos

MCP2006
Contributor I

It came to me as a hell of a shock when I read that metrowerks sold the compiler to a 3rd party.

God only knows why... (the Motorola thingy striked back on the desk once again?)

But it's not just that Codewarrior is "dead" they missed out on 64bit I guess - would have been cool to have codewarrior 64bit for Windows.

It's all about PPC - but as we know even Steve Jobs compiled OS-X for the last 5-6 years for both Mac and PC and is going intel in the end of the day.

I guess not only Codewarrior is dead but also so is the Mac.

Everything is going out or what?

0 Kudos