cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Booting with external flash?

Jump to solution
njk909
Contributor II

I am using the M52259EVB with MQX 3.5 and Codewarrior Eclipse IDE.  My application is larger than the internal flash memory, so I was wondering if it is possible to boot from an external flash device like a CF card or a USB memory stick.

I saw that with the M54455EVB there is external flash on board that you can boot from.  Is it possible to do something similar with the M52259, but using CF card or USB stick as the source of external flash instead?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi njk909,

The MCF52259 is combined MCU (has intergrated flash and sram) and MPU (support extermal memory devices like MRAM, SRAM, and NOR flash).

The MPU mode can boot from external devices like MRAM (as MartinK mentioned) and NOR flash but does not have the ability/capability to boot from USB or compact flash, or serial flash.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

David

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi njk909,

The MCF52259 is combined MCU (has intergrated flash and sram) and MPU (support extermal memory devices like MRAM, SRAM, and NOR flash).

The MPU mode can boot from external devices like MRAM (as MartinK mentioned) and NOR flash but does not have the ability/capability to boot from USB or compact flash, or serial flash.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
c0170
Senior Contributor III

Hi njk909,

On m52259evb, there is MRAM IC on board that can be used. In general, any memory that can be accessed by external bus could be used for memory capacity expansion.

Regards,

MartinK

0 Kudos