Ruth Hendrix

CodeWarrior 3.1 for S12 using USB MultiLink

Discussion created by Ruth Hendrix Employee on Jan 28, 2006
This message contains an entire topic ported from a separate forum. The original message and all replies are in this single message. We have seeded this new forum with selected information that we expect will be of value to you as you search for answers to your questions.
Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:02 pm    
Probably a simple newbie question...

I had been using BDM-Multilink with my S12 target board, until something broke and now my target 5 V thru 6-pin debug connector gets pulled to ground each time I hook up the BDM-ML and CodeWarrior debugger does not recognize....

So, I also have this handy USB_ML HCS08/HCS12 Rev B that I brought in from home. I'd like to use it instead.

Device manager shows "USB Multilink 2.0" when I connect USB cable from PC to USB_ML. Yellow and Blue lights both enabled on front of USB_ML.

I downloaded and installed both the following from Metrowerks thinking they are required for use of USB_ML.

CW12 V3.1 HZ256 Service Pack Release date: 12/20/2005
CW12 V3.1 E256 Service Pack Release date: 5/23/2005

So... how do I switch Metrowerks debugger over from BDM_ML to USB_ML ?? Currently, from the debugger, if I go to <Component><Set Target...>, I see no P&E USB_ML options....

thanks in advance...

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:16 am    
The USB-ML uses the "ICD12" target. If the driver is installed correctly, I guess it should work.
Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:37 am    
Same here. Target interface should be "ICD12 Target Interface". I had to install USB-Cable support via "CW12_V3_1_ICD12_USB2_0_Sim_patch.exe" which I think I got from the pemicro site. Unfortunately I can't reach their site at the moment but it should be there.

Hope this helps.
Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:00 pm    
Thanks for the replies, all

I downloaded and installed that patch (it's also obtainable at, and that got me a step further....

On the debugger menu, under <ICD-12><Communication...>, I now can see and have selected USB-PE501-6936

The problem is that the BDM seems not to sync up to a valid communications speed with target (which is known good S12 system). I have auto dection of clock divider value enabled, but BDM tries (I see BGDN pin wiggling on scope) for awhile and gives up with "BDM Speed Problem" message. This never occurred with parallel port BDM MultiLink.

Any further ideas, anyone?
Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:57 pm    
Could the MCU be secured? If so there is a unsecure process available on the P&E website?
Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:53 pm    
the unsecure mechanism (at least the one within CW 3.1) doesn't connect up to micro to attempt to unsecure it (which may or may not be necessary), so not sure...
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:50 pm    
If you can see and have selected the USB interface in the "communication device" combo-box then it is a very good start.

Pay attention to the IO_DELAY_COUNT (communication speed setting)
that is different between the two versions (the formula based on your actual oscillator frequency is given in the ICD12/Set Communication speed... dialog.

Then, as it was said, you may have to unsecure your device, especially if things did not went properly last time you were flashing your device.
You may check that the "Unsecure" tab in the ICD12/Command Files... dialog is set to the proper value (there are command files for all derivatives available in the HCS12 Stationnary directory.

Hope this helps